Extract Recipe For Js Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deegee

Reaction score
I know this subject has been covered before, but I still have a couple of questions I have not yet seen answers for.

First, does the distinctive flavour of JS GA come just from the Amarillo Hops, or does it result from the combination of the wheat and the Amarillo ???.

A friend of mine likes my Coopers Strawberry Blonde, and after trying a couple of golden ales she reckoned that a Honey GA would be the ducks nuts -- or maybe the bees knees. ( Yeah I know )

Has anyone out there done something like a honey wheat with Amarillo hops, or a golden ale clone with some honey in it ??.

If you have, let me know, I could build up some serious brownie points here.

Cheers, Deegee.

Hi Dee Gee, I've brewed an AG Golden Ale (not really a clone but quite similar), there is no wheat in it at all. It is quite heavy on the late amarillo additions. Are you looking to make it with a kit or extract? Also what sized pot are you going to use?

I got this from one of the forums , forget which

been in the bottle 15 weeks ,

thinks ----- I should go and get a couple and put them in to cool and then try

Js Golden Ale

Try the following. Produces quite a nice brew. The NB for bittering is not quite right however NB or POR are both fairly neutral when used for bittering in a pale ale.

20L batch

2.2Kgs of Unhopped Pale LME
1Kgs of Unhopped Wheat LME
0.25Kgs Crystal malt - steeped for 20mins
22gms Northern Brewer (9.4%) @ 60mins
12gms Amarillo (8.4%) @ 10mins
12gms Amarillo (8.4%) @ 0mins
15gms Amarillo (8.4%) Dry Hopped in secondary for 7 days
US-56

Begin by steeping crystal malt in 2 Litres of water at around 70C. Steep for 20 minutes. Once the 20 mins are almost up, start to boil the Pale LME in 4Litres of water. Strain the steeped crystal wort into the boil.

Add the hop additions and 10 mins before the end of the boil add the Wheat LME.

Ferment at approx 18C.

All the best,

the web says that its from toasted wheat and barley grains with amarillo.

Ive got some receipes for extract and kit versions ay home. I will post them tonight.

I suppose you could honey but im not sure you'd get the result your after, as from what Ive read honey beers tend to loose their flavour over time so must be drunk young and you need a decent amount of honey to overcome the other flavours. I'll post the receipes ans you can see what you think. there are a few differant approaches that you could easily modify to suit.

Hi Enerjex, I was looking for recipes & suggestions before I decided which way to go.
I have mostly used Kits in the past but I'm up to the point where they are just the base for adding more malts, hops etc.. I have done a few all-malt extract brews and they came out OK so either way would be fine.

I have a couple of cans of Coopers Canadian Blonde in the cupboard at present as they seem to be a good basic starting point to build on, and one of Wander Lager. It was on special at the supermarket, and I remebered reading somewhere on here that it was good - at least for a basic brew.
But if someone come though with an extract recipe, I will head off to the HBS and buy the malt & hops etc etc..

The biggest pot I have at present is about 12 litres, so I guess I'd be limited to boiling about 8 or 9 litres tops. Even if I had a bigger one my stove top would take forever to boil it.

Cheers Deegee.

Using an all extract (no kit) brew will net you better results. I used a 12 litre pot when I was doing extracts too. As I said I didn't use any wheat in mine I used Maris Otter Grain with a 100g Medium Crystal. If I brew it again I may add a bit of wheat, so for you I think a good starting point taking into consideration a boil size of 8 litres would be:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 8.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 11.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.20 kg Pale Liquid Extract (5.3 EBC) Extract 66.7 %
1.00 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 30.3 %
0.10 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3.0 %
22.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (60 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
44.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (15 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
44.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

The hop amounts sound high I know but the smaller boil gets you lower utilization. The IBU's here are just about identical to the Golden Ale i'm drinking as I type and enjoying a lot. The dry hop listed I used 10g cascade and 10g amarillo but for a more authentic golden ale use 20g amarillo. I just add the dry hop into the fermenter before pitching the yeast.
Cheers

Rod - thanks for that. A couple of questions though. I have fairly limited facilites for boiling, (see above) .

Could I boil that much in a 12 L pot, or would I have to split it into two batches ??.
If I split, could I boil all the hops with say half the malt, then just give the rest of the malt a quick boil without hops.

Whoops - I just remembered I have a perfecctly good 15 L fermenter, so could I just scale it down by half ??.

CityMorgue2 - I really want to do two variatoins of this - one close to the original for myself, and a honey version for my lady friend. She likes Coopers Honey Blonde which I make as a midstrength brew.
It didn't last long enough for the honey flavour to fade out, because I don't mind the odd glass or two myself when I'm in the mood for it.

Thanks, Deegee.

recipes as promised

JSGA V1
2.2Kgs of Unhopped Pale LME
1Kgs of Unhopped Wheat LME
0.25Kgs Crystal malt - steeped for 20mins
22gms POR @ 60mins
12gms Amarillo (8.4%) @ 10mins
12gms Amarillo (8.4%) @ 0mins
15gms Amarillo (8.4%) Dry Hopped in secondary for 7 days
US-56
20L batch

Begin by steeping crystal malt in 2 Litres of water at around 70C. Steep for 20 minutes. Once the 20 mins are almost up, start to boil the Pale LME in 4Litres of water. Strain the steeped crystal wort into the boil.
Add the hop additions and 10 mins before the end of the boil add the Wheat LME.
Ferment at approx 18C.

JSGA V2
Coopers Heritage Lager
Morgans Caramalt Masterblend
600g Light Dry Malt
10g Amarillo (15 minute boil)
10g Amarillo (Steeped)
25g Amarillo (Dry Hopped)
edit - made to 23 litres, US-56 yeast
ferment at 18C

JSGA V3
23L batch
1 can of Coopers Lager
1kg of wheat LME
Steep 250g of Crystal for 20mins (add 25g of Amarillo too)
Dry hop 15g (although you could probably just up the above addition to 40-50g instead if you wanted to)
US-56

JSGA (Dr Smurto Style)
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1.5kg pale malt extract (liquid)
15g amarillo at 15mins
15g amarillo at 5mins
15h amarillo (dryhopped at rack).
Kit yeast
20degC
1 week primary, 1 week secondary (dry hopped).

Deegee, I do extract brewing (well, before I sorted my big kettle out) with a 10L pot...

I do it like this...

Steep crystal etc.
Add that to the pot
Add boiling water
Add only 1kg of the malt
Bring to boil and do hop additions
Chuck in prep'd fermenter and top up with rest of malt and water

I have been taught to do it this way to keep the gravity in a range good for extracting from hops.

Using an all extract (no kit) brew will net you better results. I used a 12 litre pot when I was doing extracts too. As I said I didn't use any wheat in mine I used Maris Otter Grain with a 100g Medium Crystal. If I brew it again I may add a bit of wheat, so for you I think a good starting point taking into consideration a boil size of 8 litres would be:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 8.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 11.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.20 kg Pale Liquid Extract (5.3 EBC) Extract 66.7 %
1.00 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 30.3 %
0.10 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3.0 %
22.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (60 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
44.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (15 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
44.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale
The hop amounts sound high I know but the smaller boil gets you lower utilization. The IBU's here are just about identical to the Golden Ale i'm drinking as I type and enjoying a lot. The dry hop listed I used 10g cascade and 10g amarillo but for a more authentic golden ale use 20g amarillo. I just add the dry hop into the fermenter before pitching the yeast.
Cheers

I to like the JS GA. I have a large enough kettle to do a full wort boil. I have been lead to believe it is better to full wort boil where possible. As you stated "The hop amounts sound high I know but the smaller boil gets you lower utilization" what would you recommend the hop amounts be on a full boil.

Cheers BYB

Thanks for all that info guys, now all I've got to do is decide which one of these recipes to try first. I don't have any of the above kits in stock, so I will probably go with your advice Enerjex, and do one of the extract versions.

I have two 25L fermenters, and one 15L so I will probably start a different version after the first one is racked.

And I just realised that if I buy a second 15L fermenter, then I could have two smaller batches going at once, instead of just one large brew at a time.
And to think that this all started off as a way of saving a few bucks on a slab of beer .......... then it sort of grew into a hobby........... and now it's starting to take over my life.

Cheers, Deegee.

Deegee,

whenever cloning you've got to ask yourself just how faithful you want to be to the original brew.
Those recipes above would almost all, I haven't reviewed the details of each fully, appear to produce nice amarillo hoppy brews that you would enjoy and would be quite close to JS.

That being said, if you want to come even closer JS golden does contain wheat and it is bittered with Pride of Ringwood so you could consider those options too...

The details floating around, which came from chuck hahn, is that it contains 30% wheat, some crystal, is bittered with POR and Amarillo for the rest.

I had placed my recipe in here then I checked something in the rest of the post and realised it is almost identical to enerjex's one, with a mini mash rather than straight extract and grains in mine, so I can kind of vouch for that one! I did use POR for bittering though.

I'm not 100% sure of all the parts of it, but I think if you can avoid using POR for bittering it will turn out smoother, amarillo does a good job of bittering.

One of the main reasons I started this thread, was that a friend who liked my "Honey Blonde" said, after trying a JSGA, that she would love to try - quote: "a cross between the two". So I was looking for a recipe that combined Amarillo hops with some Honey.

Now I like the original JSGA, and would like to brew something similar for myself, so all suggestions for clones or aproximations thereof are also very welcome.

What I like about the original is mainly (I think) the Amarillo flavours, so I would probably be quite happy with a nice easy drinking "Amarillo Ale" even if it was not a true clone or even a close copy of the original - just somewhere in the ball park would be OK for me.

Now I've got lots of good advice and plenty of variations to work on for myself, but none yet which are going to earn me those brownie points with the Lady J. (And I must admit I am curious as to how the Honey and Amarillo would go together).

So what if I took one of the recipes above, and replaced about three to four hundred grams of malt with honey, or just added it to JSGA V3 (above). I think I will proabaly give it a try ..... right after I have put down an "Amarillo Ale" for yours truly.

Thanks again, DeeGee.

I've done a "Bush Mallee Draught" using a Tooheys Draught with 1kg of Bush Mallee Honey and 20g of Amarillo at rack. Damn nice drop. Could have added probably a kilo of light malt to that for added body but a very light and refreshing beer none the less. Both the honey and Amarillo were very distiguished. It might be a little on the sweet side for most so halving the amount of honey could work too.

I have had thoughts of using a Cluster for the primary. I'd only want probably 10g for 20 mins. Might have to try that.

Cheers

Gecko

Thanks Gecko, thats the kind of info I was looking for - to get some idea of how much hops & how much honey to use, so that you can taste both of them, and one doesn't overpower the other.

As soon as I have a regular "Amarillo Ale" racked, I will try the Honey variation. Something simple like a lager kit, a kilo of wheat malt, and about 500gm of honey.

For the Amarillo ... about 12 to 15gm for five minutes, then maybe 15 or 20gm dry in the secondary. In this one I don't want the hops to cover up all the honey, or vice-versa.

Cheers, DeeGee.

you'll get bugger all flavour but a fair bit of aroma boiling the hops for only 5min.

go for 15min at least if you want any flavour from them.

OM39A - I'm looking for both flavour and aroma here - but not too much of either. What if I used about 15gm for 15 mins, and another 15gm for 5 mins ??.

If I did that, what would you suggest re dry hopping - either in the primary or when racking ??.

Or should I just do the 15 min boil and the dry hop - and leave out the 5 min addition ??.

Regards, Deegee.

sorry for the delay , been off site

Rod - thanks for that. A couple of questions though. I have fairly limited facilites for boiling, (see above) .

Could I boil that much in a 12 L pot, or would I have to split it into two batches ??.
If I split, could I boil all the hops with say half the malt, then just give the rest of the malt a quick boil without hops.

Whoops - I just remembered I have a perfecctly good 15 L fermenter, so could I just scale it down by half ??.

CityMorgue2 - I really want to do two variatoins of this - one close to the original for myself, and a honey version for my lady friend. She likes Coopers Honey Blonde which I make as a midstrength brew.
It didn't last long enough for the honey flavour to fade out, because I don't mind the odd glass or two myself when I'm in the mood for it.

Thanks, Deegee.

I used a 20litre pot and it was a bit sqeezey

my thought two pots would be better , I do not know whether you would put 1/2 hops in each , if not why not , same same,

I have just tried my brew and found it a bit too strong in hops , I think I would cut back next time , the thought to leave out the some of the northern brewer would be a good idea , how much I do not know

I will look at the other post and make a call next brew

Rod

JSGA (Dr Smurto Style)
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1.5kg pale malt extract (liquid)
15g amarillo at 15mins
15g amarillo at 5mins
15h amarillo (dryhopped at rack).
Kit yeast
20degC
1 week primary, 1 week secondary (dry hopped).

I can vouch for this one :D

Very nice, not a clone of JSGA by any stretch. Have an alternate version dry hopping atm. Changed the pale malt extract to wheat extract and upped the hop additions to 20g. Also used US56 instead of the kit yeast. tasted very nice out of primary. The Coopers wheat malt extract is 50/50 ale/wheat so all up its about 25% wheat which isnt far off the real thing.

Boiling size - 2L. 250g of the wheat extract in 2L of water. rolling boil, add hops as above. Easy.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Back