Extract Brewing In 15l Stockpot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughman666

Reaction score
I picked a couple of 15L SS stockpots for $10 each a couple of weeks back.

I go these as I will always find a use for them, and I want to get onto extract brewing as my next step into AG (I'm still slowly assembling all the AG bits).

So my question is how would I go about doing an extract kit in a 15L pot? Is it a matter of simply following the extract recipe to a tee and then topping up the difference to 22L with water in the fermenter?

Or do I need to alter boil times and stuff like that?

I would prefer to steer away from having to use both 15L stockpots, as I can't heat them at the same time.

any ideas appreciated....

Hi,

that's a good price for SS pots.

All my extract recipes are formulated for a 7l boil and top up to 15l. So far, it's been really good. The bonus is faster cooling down since there's less liquid. The minus is slightly more hops to get the same bitterness.

Everything else, I keep the same.

Cheers,
Laurent

Hey there!

Good pickup for $10! (Although I notice Red Dot have SS stockpots up to 20L for $10 also - not sure of the quality though).

I did a lot of extract brewing and used a 15L stockpot to do it. Generally I used unhopped extracts, and did the following:

1. Filled the pot with 11L of water
2. Brought the pot up to around 70C and added any specialty grains required in a grain sock or a stocking. Left them to soak for a while at this temp.
3. Removed the specialty grains.
4. Brought the water to a boil, added the unhopped extracts and then got it back to the boil (keep the lid off for the remainder of the boil).
5. Added the hop additions while I boiled the wort for around 60-90 mins.
6. Once the boil was finished, put the stockpot in a sink of icy water (with the lid on) and let it sit for 30 minutes, occasionally stirring the water around to make sure the heat dissipated from the stockpot.
7. While the pot was cooling, I'd sanitise my fermenter and a conical strainer, and fill the fermenter with around 7L of water.
8. Then I'd pour the contents of the pot through the strainer and top up to 21L.

Hope this helps :)

Back