Extra Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceL

Reaction score
I will be brewing a stout next week. Ive currently got a Safale 56 and Muntons premium gold in the fridge.
I was planning to use the Safale, but am wondering if pitching both (a total of 17.5g of yeast) would have a positive or negative effect.

Is 17.5 grams to much yeast for an ale?

Would the mixing of two different yeasts cause problems?

Bruce

its best to avoid using 2 different types of yeasts. some strains can kill others apparently. If you are worried about not havign enough yeast you could make a starter. I would just pitch the 56.

Pitching two lots of yeast shouldn't have any major negative effects, the yeast mutliples in the brew to much more than the original pitching amount.
I've pitched two lots of yeast in a batch before and never tasted the difference and they were different types.
But may be worth checking on what Ash has mentioned.

Wyeast make blends of yeast for various types of beers. The only "problem" you may have, by pitching two types of yeasts, is one may be more dominent in its flavours profile than the other.

From what I've seen you will be more than OK with using both. However, you haven't mentioned the OG (or expected OG) of your brew. Rule of thumb, If it is less than 1.050-1.060 then you can get away with one packet. Above that, then you will need two.

Thanks for the Posts.

In regards to the OG I expect around 1.050 - 55

Bruce

Two different yeasts won't kill each other, but if one likes the conditions better, it will replicate faster and have a larger impact on the final beer - nothing to worry about just keep it in mind for what you want the beer tasting like.

As far as pitching too much yeast, the main (perhaps only) concern is temperature control. Lots of yeast will mean that fermentation will occur very quickly, and as fermentation creates heat, the faster the ferment, the more heat created. At this time of year i doubt that's a concern.

Many commercial beers use a seperate yeast in bottling than the did in fermentation - simply so that the bottling process doesn't add flavours to the final product.

Latest posts

Back