Extra Stout.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it happens I'm doing a Scottish 80/- this weekend and an extra stout the following weekend on the cake, with 1728 already spun and ready to go. Plan is (based on the infamous whiteboard recipe) -

21L, OG 1.068 scaled up to 23l
5.50 kg MO
0.60 kg Black Malt
0.45 kg Wheat Malt
Super Pride at 60 mins to the tune of 45 IBU

Intended ABV around 6.8%. Going to be literal neck oil.

Stouter said:
My first time using a smackpak with the Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale, and I'm very impressed.
My O.G. was high at 1.070 and I set my FV temp at 18C for the first 5 days, took a sample and got 1.034, upped the temp to 22C and that was all she wrote after a total of 11 days, and finishing at 1.016.
Very happy with that, and after emptying the FV into bottles I noticed the sludge on the bottom was quite compact.
Tastes good, and I've split the batch, 12 bottles at least a couple of which I'll put in an upcoming comp, and 12 bottles I'll try my best to condition for longer

At $15 a pack, that's about half my usual budget/brew. I feel like it was worth it though compared to my usual pack of S-04/05 sprinkling efforts. I've still got a couple of dry MJ packs I'll rehydrate and build up into starters, which I've never tried doing before.
This has spurred me on to look further into yeasts now. I'm now going to try harvesting from some Coopers Stout bottles and give it a go.

18*c is the high end for this yeats

Give it a go at 13-15*c...very nice

This yeast also will make great big beers like RIS and heavy stouts

Ducatiboy stu said:

Indeed it does.. Bloody good yeast, one of my faves for high gravity darks

Ducatiboy stu said:

I expect the timeline would push out at 13-15C?
Slow and steady wins the race though.
Is it the nutrient pack in these smakpacs that see them do so well or the strain?

Its how you look after the yeast

How did you split the initial pack ?

Punched the shit out of it until the insides split, let it sit in the already at temp fv fridge for a few hours, then poured it in.

So you didnt maker a starter and split the starter before pitching into your wort ?

1728 is brilliant at 14 deg C. Not yet tried it in a stout - might change that in the next few weeks as I'm knocking out some stouts for the winter in upcoming weeks.

I don't split either but I do (mostly) make active starters and sometimes top crop.

Splitting will massively reduce per brew costs.

manticle said:
1728 is brilliant at 14 deg C. Not yet tried it in a stout - might change that in the next few weeks as I'm knocking out some stouts for the winter in upcoming weeks.
Its awsome in Porter as well

When you bottle, you can drain some of the trub into a sanitised bottle and refrigerate it. Pitch it the next batch.

I have started pitching on the day I keg the previous batch. Empty the FV into the keg, then tip the fermenter forward a bit, let the beer dregs run into a jug and then catch about 100ml of cleanish yeast.

Then I clean and sanitise the fermenter, empty the cube, oxygenate and pitch the saved yeast.

Seems to work well and can save a fair bit of $$ when using more expensive yeasts.

I like the idea of splitting a starter though too.

manticle said:
I don't split either but I do (mostly) make active starters and sometimes top crop.
Splitting will massively reduce per brew costs.
I see where this is heading now, and my wallet thanks you.

Ducatiboy stu said:
How far into the ferment is it ?
I meant not thinking that far ahead yet, and not experienced yet.
It's finished and bottled now.

Stouter said:
I meant not thinking that far ahead yet, and not experienced yet.
It's finished and bottled now.
DAMN

giphy.gif

Yeah, what a dumb phunt.
I should have split it. The fv is all cleaned out too.
How long does a split starter last in the fridge, or a dregs run off?

Split starter will last years.

My first 1728 I got I split that into 6 from an initial starter of 1 ltr made from the pack

I turned 1 starter into another 1lt starter and put the other 5 in the fridge under wort

From the 1 ltr starter, pitch enough into your wort and make another starter with whats left

But make sure you are SUPER ANAL with sanitation when you make your first starter....otherwise you will just be brewing Bretts from that starter

Reculture from one of the bottles if you want to save the strain.

If you live in a rural area where getting yeast strains is a struggle then starting up a yeast-slant ranch makes a lot of sense

Latest posts

Back