Extra Special Brewers 2016 Home Brew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suggest you do your electronic entry first - otherwise it's hard to get the Group No. for your entry correct (well at least that was my experience!)
Four entries on their way (a bit of a leap of faith here as I only bottled 3 of them today)

I still have to dry hop two entries, they will be fresh.

I'm filling out the entry sheet and bottle labels for posting off today.
On the paper entry form two examples are listed.

Checking against the pretty chart on the comp website,

B1 8c Extra Special Bitter no worries
B13 21B Black IPA ... where do you get the 13 from?

Edit,
Also if, for example I have entered two Extra Special Bitters how do I know which one scored what?

Had to head to the post to avoid the long weekend.

So I just labelled them in the format of (not necessarily entering this style) :p

B1 8c Extra Special Bitter
B2 8c Extra Special Bitter

2 different entries in the style.

Cheers

Bribie G said:
Had to head to the post to avoid the long weekend.

So I just labelled them in the format of (not necessarily entering this style) :p

B1 8c Extra Special Bitter
B2 8c Extra Special Bitter

2 different entries in the style.

Cheers
Hi Bribie,

You don't seem to have completed the online entry form, which was designed to cater for differentiating 2 entries of the same style - to aid in administration this form is also needed to be completed this year, See

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1mhdED2rSW5ELuE0ds8-TOtpk96SPDjoDL12Vbd7Y7b0/viewform?c=0&w=1

Cheers
P1

Bribie G said:
I'm filling out the entry sheet and bottle labels for posting off today.
On the paper entry form two examples are listed.

Checking against the pretty chart on the comp website,

B1 8c Extra Special Bitter no worries
B13 21B Black IPA ... where do you get the 13 from?

Edit,
Also if, for example I have entered two Extra Special Bitters how do I know which one scored what?

See answer to my previous post - the online entry form has the specific Group and entry number details.

Cheers
P1

Aha, submitted the online form a couple of days ago, I'll have another go.

Submitted again, hope it gets through this time. When I did the first online form it thanked me and all good, so don't know what happened there.

Sorry to be a PITA. Can I PM or email someone to edit my paper form to correspond with the online form - when it arrives with the bottles - as they are now out of whack with each other?

Bribie G said:
Submitted again, hope it gets through this time. When I did the first online form it thanked me and all good, so don't know what happened there.

Sorry to be a PITA. Can I PM or email someone to edit my paper form to correspond with the online form - when it arrives with the bottles - as they are now out of whack with each other?
Just rechecked, you did indeed submit your form. I was confused by you using your real name!!
You just did I will fix up your paper form to suit your second form entry.

Cheers
Peter

Thanks Peter, as said in the Email, competition entry forms always seem to do my head in :lol:

Cheers
Michael

And the winners are http://prstemp.wix.com/esbcomp#!results/kyo34

Score sheets and certificates will be posted out this week.

Special thanks to all that judged and stewarded yesterday.

Next year will be BIG BEERS - a sneak preview of our 10th Anniversary Competition categories - it is likely to be Extra 'Double' Special Bitter, and BIG beers 7.5% ABV upwards, think about getting that Dopplebock, RIS, Barleywine, etc happening. Likely BJCP 2015 Categories are 9, 16C, 16D,17A, 17B, 17C, 17D, 20C, 21B Double IPA, 22A, 22B, 22C, 22D, 25B Super Saison, 25C, 26C, 26D Exact details will be posted in the next couple of months.

Cheers
Peter

Awesome, thanks for getting those results out so quickly Peter! And to everyone who took part in organising it! Great work!

Thanks Peter, out of interest how did the Australian IPAs stack up, number of entries and range of scores?

Personally I was well pleased with my effort as a drinking beer and it would be great to see a style properly "formalised". Comps such as ESB being the perfect test bed for perfecting the style.

Edit: wouldn't it be great if the State competitions had an Aussie IPA entry, for evaluation, comments and suggestions only at this stage, and judged in the BJCP fashion, but not counting towards any competition wins or scores.

Bribie G said:
Thanks Peter, out of interest how did the Australian IPAs stack up, number of entries and range of scores?

Personally I was well pleased with my effort as a drinking beer and it would be great to see a style properly "formalised". Comps such as ESB being the perfect test bed for perfecting the style.

Edit: wouldn't it be great if the State competitions had an Aussie IPA entry, for evaluation, comments and suggestions only at this stage, and judged in the BJCP fashion, but not counting towards any competition wins or scores.

There were 7 entries score range 17 - 39 with most in the 30s

P1

Thanks a bunch for the speedy turn around Peter! Pretty chuffed with my result, let's hope we can get the bloody hops!

Dan K said:
Thanks a bunch for the speedy turn around Peter! Pretty chuffed with my result, let's hope we can get the bloody hops!
Likewise! First comp, first place in a category. Well pleased.

My scoresheets arrived yesterday. I scored very well in my first attempt at brewing a style I still haven't quite grasped (Black IPA) and got good feedback that explained how I could have scored higher.

Congrats Dan for the Red IPA, was excellent
Thanks Peter for another beautiful comp , (as in well executed, not the aesthetics of the personnel)

Good one Ian

I'm pretty chuffed with the 1st place I got for my Best Bitter, although I have no delusions of grandeur with my skills (my all grain ESB did average).

My winning Best Bitter was just a fresh wort kit from the Brew Shop, fermented in a no chill cube in my bar fridge. Now to see if my AG skills can improve haha..

Back