Exploring craft brewery lagers - what are they doing differently?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick_BCB

Reaction score
Recently got a bit too hopped out and started to look at Lagers. Back in the day I was a XXXX bitter fan, occassionally a Toohey's red or blue drinker, and rarely a VB drinker.

I recently have tasted Newstead's and Akasha's lagers and found them to be excellent.

My few attempts a home brewing lagers have resulted in a very 'nutty' taste - think DAB or Oettinger - not to my taste.

Any suggestions on grain bill / hops / yeast to get a nice clean, slightly bitter, slightly hoppy lager such as Newstead / Akasha?

What lagers in particular have you been enjoying? I think most of the craft lagers are 'new world' lagers and are late hopped with modern US/NZ/AU hop varieties.

Recipe might look something like this

90% Pilsner
5% Caramalt
5% Carapils
25 IBU Magnum FWH
2g/L Galaxy Whirlpool
Saflager W34/70

No worries, you can substitute in the late hops for whatever you like. Motueka goes well with its distinctive lime characteristic, if you prefer that over grapefruit/passion fruit of Galaxy.

You could also try Nelson Sauvin, El Dorado, Citra, Mosaic, Riwaka etc.

Try to add the whirlpool additions while the wort is at 80c to limit any additional bitterness being extracted. If you plan to add them to the wort while hot, drop the early addition down to 15IBU or so to compensate.

When using pilsner malts its a good idea to extend the boil out to at least 90mins to help drive off more DMS. Easy to end up with creamed corn flavoured beer otherwise.

If you want less of that pils bready/nutty taste you're describing don't be afraid to use some pale ale Malt instead of pils and give it a long and low mash rest to still get a dry lager with a little more rounded malt flavour

The 80c hop step I have never understood. It's commercially impractical and the one fella I knew with a system capable stopped it and just pulled hops from the boil.

The most important aspect is healthy yeast, nutrient and oxygen. There are no ifs or buts about it.

Fermentation management requires some equipment and expertise but makes the difference.

The one practice I would avoid is the Aussie technique of 16-80c ferments with German lager yeast, the cub/lion pong has a lot to answer for.

If you get sulphur and it is not from the strain you are not looking after the yeast.

Don't be afraid of cell counts and letting ferms free rise at 4 plato.

And limit crystal to no more than 5%. Use the stand temp to dictate palate and mouthfeel rather than crystal malts.

That's plenty to work on there

Latest posts

Back