Experimental Recipe With Leftovers... Am I Crazy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppinmad

Reaction score
I have a bunch of stuff that I want to use up and have come up with this unconventional (probably crazy) recipe. Obviously if it is not going to be drinkable I don't want to waste my time... so any comments on it would be great. Just to note... the Pilsner, Wheat and Flaked Barley are already milled and mixed so they can't be separated.

Here 'tis guys! :

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/03/2009
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Brewer: James
Boil Size: 22.89 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes: Good question

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.04 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 39.77 %
2.04 kg Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 39.77 %
0.50 kg Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 9.75 %
0.30 kg Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.85 %
0.25 kg Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.87 %
10.00 gm Saaz [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
25.00 gm Fuggles [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 11.1 IBU
1.01 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
100.00 gm Ivory Coast 100% Red African Cocoa (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.55 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.65 %
Bitterness: 34.9 IBU Calories: 517 cal/l
Est Color: 35.0 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 5.13 kg
Sparge Water: 14.65 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.38 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Made a couple of brews using same ingredients just different proportions (and none of that cocoa bullshit :beerbang: )

Looks good. Can't see why you'd be worried about it myself ! Should be nice blackish porter/stout with a bit of body. Don't change it (unless of course you drink the cocoa with hot milk first).
:beerbang:

edit : 2.04kg torrified wheat ? Thought it was wheat malt.

On second thoughts .. should be interesting !!

looks like you are making a belgian wit with dark grains and allsorts hops, Uk and Euro.

I'd give that a protien rest to help convert the torrefied wheat. i have NFI how that will turn out to be honest. It will be quite thin i'd say due to the torrefied. Personally i'd scrap the dark grains and ferment with a belgian yeast for a pseudo wit.

The torrefied throws it for me really. If you could swap the torrefied for malted wheat it might be a different story. considering its already blended with the oats and pils thats unlikely.

I reckon you are just about in stout/porter territory

My suggestions - swap the goldings and fuggle additions - maybe increase the bitterness a touch and drop the mash temp to 66-66.5 - aim for a dry stout - though all that wheat will give you some dryness and graininess

Not sure what the Cocoa is gonna bring to the party though

But in any case I reckon you'll end up with a very drinkable beer

Cheers

Yeah kinda gives me the S#@% that it's torrified wheat. The reason behind that is that I ordered the ingredients for a Belgian Wit which included torrified wheat, rolled oats and pilsner but they put flaked barley in the bag instead of the oats. They were nice about it and sent a replacement so I could make my wit... but now I'm stuck with this bag of grains that really just don't go well together. Apparently the flaked barley will be too heavy for a wit and is more suited to a heavier beer. But you might be right about it being too thin. I do have about half a kilo of the darker malts and a bunch of different hops I want to use up so thats why I thought I'd try to incorporate them.

Cocoa not a good idea?

Atleast if you a decent protien rest you may get lucky and have some more fermentatbles from the flaked barley. I'd put flaked barley in almost the same category as oats. The difference between a dry stout and a oatmeal sout, both are usually silky and smooth on the palate with oatmeal sometimes being 'oily' from the lipids in the grain. Maybe lends a slightly fuller palate?

Looks like a nice stout to me!

I agree with the others. Swap fuggles and goldings ('cause i don't like fuggles :) )
And do a 90min boil. 'cause Jamil always says to boil pilsner for 90mins to drive off DMS
and that way it will be a tad bitterer because it wont be quite so concentrated at the 60min mark when you add the first hops.

And post me the cocoa. We are big cocoa eaters in our house :)

Or you could just do what we do ... yogo.

2tbsp of corn flour.
2tsp of sugar
2 cups of milk.
2 tsp of cocoa.

Mix the dry ingredients with a little of the milk to form a paste.
Add the rest of the milk.
Bring slowly to the boil and simmer for 2 mins.
Cool.

Yum!

I think very Porter territory Hopper, I like too dry hop with fuggles on a porter after using goldings in the kettle.
Hell, why not do a double batch, 2 fermenters, 2 yeasts ;)

I reckon it will be a very drinkable Porter just how it is, but without the cocoa :)

Cheers,
Jake

okay... so nobody likes the cocoa idea! Perhaps I should move to hollywood! ;)

Latest posts

Back