Estimating Yeast Cell Counts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatherder

Fancyman of Cornwood
Reaction score
We talk a lot about pitching rates. The general consensus seems to be that appropriate pitching rates are an important factor in making good beer.

The problem with pitching rates is, as homebrewers, we don't have a simple method of measuring the cell count in our yeast starters. We read plenty and end up taking an educated guess when we make our starters. We don't really know if the pitch rate is what we assume it is.

A few weeks back on the Brewing Network, Dave Logsdon mentioned his microbiologists had done some work on estimating cell counts. The method is to take a sample of a yeast starter, refrigerate the sample and measure the percentage of settled solids after a period of time. They took cell counts of the samples and published the results. Dave was kind enough to email the slidepack to me. The results they got are here:

estimating_cell_counts.jpg

In this slide, the numbers are the cell count per millilitre.

I received some more info from Greg Doss, the microbiologist who conducted the experiment. He placed the following caveats on the results:

1: The test is not highly accurate, it gives an estimate only.
2: The strain used was a medium flocculent yeast. Results will be more or less depending on the flocculation characteristics of the yeast.

Greg also advised to let the sample settle for 3 days in the fridge to get these results. My own tests showed that the yeast settled to very close to the final value within 3 hours of placing in the fridge.

Examining the numbers, they indicate a linear relationship between settled solids and cell count. Not surprising when you think about it. If you run a line of best fit over the data points, you end up with the following relationship giving an excellent fit:

Percentage solids x 25 = Cell count in million cells per millilitre

I ran a few trial runs when I made my last starter. I used a 10ml syringe to settle the starter in, mainly because it has clearly marked 1% graduations on it. The biggest problem is the conical shaped plunger in the syringe making measurement difficult. I estimated the conincal plunger occupied 3ml, so I subtracted this from my final result. There are probably better solutions to using a syringe, I just haven't figured it out yet.

To take the sample, I fixed a length of aquarium airhose to the end of the syringe and drew 10ml from the starter. Then, I place the syringe in the fridge and read off the height of the solids a few hours later.

As an example, one of my samples read 10ml - adjusted for the conical plunger, this gives 7ml. This gives 7% solids, so multiply 7 x 25, which gives 175 million cells per millilitre. This number was in the same ballpark as figures I had read for a stirred starter - sosman's brewiki page shows a graph with 250 million cells/ml. This gives me some confidence in the theory and method.

As mentioned before, this is an estimate only. But it lets us do the following:

1: Validate our pitching rate estimates
2: Help to validate our starter protocols to confirm we get the cell rates we think we are getting
3: Compare methods of preparing starters - like shaking vs airstone vs stirplate

Now I'm looking for feedback. Do you think this is a worthwhile exercise?

I think that if we get a few people trying this and submitting results we might be able to generate some more (or less) confidence in the actual numbers.

Goathearder
A couple of things that might help
The shape of the plunger conforms to the shape of the syringe; there is no 3mL dead space. The graduations should be read from where the leading edge of the plunger meets the barrel of the syringe. The calc you have used could be 30% out on a 10 ml sample with your current method thats 60% on 5mL..

There has been other work done with centrifuged samples, laser light scatter and fast particle counters (nephelometers ?).

Unfortunately it all comes down to Viable cells / dead cells and the amount of detritus like break particles and bits of hop leading to problematic results.

All that said, happy to lend you a volumetric pipet and bulb if you want a bit more precision.

MHB

Thanks for the tip MHB.

I didn't take the 3ml as dead space in the syringe - it was an educated guess at the volume that the conical section of the plunger was taking up in my cylindrical section of yeast. It definitely increases the uncertainty of the measurement though. Maybe I'm best carefully squeezing out the liquid until the solids get to the tip and reading the volume then?

I'm interested in the offer of the pipette, thanks. Something with a higher length to diameter ratio will enable more accurate measurement. I'll chat next time I'm down.

Percentage solids x 25 = Cell count in million cells per millilitre

Nice work goatherder :)

The accepted pitching rate for ale is 1 million cells of viable yeast, for every milliliter of wort, for every degree plato, which is 250 billion cells for 20L of 1.050 wort.

So an appropriate 1L starter should have 250 million cells/ml. This makes it very easy to check since your equation shows this to be 10% solids.

I will be giving this ago with my next started.

Cheers :beer:

Latest posts

Back