English Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'devenin Brewers,

Nearly time to put in another order with CB and I want a liquid yeast to use in an English IPA.
I've only tried the dried SO4 and Nottingham of the English yeasts and want something different to keep in house.
From the guidelines I need a yeast that can give a fruity or sulphury/minerally profile and Jamil and Palmer suggest something that will leave a reasonably crisp finish, something that will finish drier than sweeter. They have an example with Wyeast 1028, which fits the profile.
What would you suggest?

Cheers

I quite like the 1098 in an IPA....but...........pitch the appropriate amount and aerate every 12 hrs before Krusen forms to get it to finish out low enough. Can fall short if it's is not aerated well enough.

Cheers,

Screwy

I like 1275. Gives a dry finish. I have only used it at cooler temps and ended with clean beers. I have plans to use it at aslightly higher temp 20/21 to see if I can pick up a little more english character.

Cheers

I quite like the 1098 in an IPA....but...........pitch the appropriate amount and aerate every 12 hrs before Krusen forms to get it to finish out low enough. Can fall short if it's is not aerated well enough.

Cheers,

Screwy

Sound good Screwy. How do you aerate?

What's the liquid equivalent of SO4? I wanted something contrasting to this.

The British Cask 1026PC sounds good but not available at the moment unfortunately.

The main English wyeast I use is 1099 but I mainly use it in darker coloured malty beers. It does fit the profile for an IPA.

Personally I'd be happy to use it in anything from stout to porter to ESB (beers I have used it in) so if I were to make an IPA, I'd possibly crack it out for that too.

Not sure if that helps. If it doesn't I'll buy you a beer.

Sound good Screwy. How do you aerate?

What's the liquid equivalent of SO4? I wanted something contrasting to this.

The British Cask 1026PC sounds good but not available at the moment unfortunately.

Thinking Cask 1026 might just be good but since it not available. 1028 is probably a good selection for a high gravity beer such as an IPA.

Aeration....well I have used aquarium pumps and diffuser stone, shaking fermenter, bottled oxygen and SS diffuser.......they all work and have cost/benefit/effort/cleaning up analysis to consider. Nowadays I use a big SS Chefs Whisk, works well and easy to use and clean.

The main English wyeast I use is 1099 but I mainly use it in darker coloured malty beers. It does fit the profile for an IPA.

Personally I'd be happy to use it in anything from stout to porter to ESB (beers I have used it in) so if I were to make an IPA, I'd possibly crack it out for that too.

Yeah 1099 would be pretty similar but maybe not as attenuative, something important for IPA's

Cheers,

Screwy

Interesting. I've actually been looking at ways to make it attenuate less as my main criticism of my porter (and others' perceptions of it) is that it needs a touch more body. Next time I'm looking at mashing for 45 minutes rather than 60 to see how that goes (67 deg mash temp)

Anyway slightly Off topic so apologies.

It all helps Manticle but I'll gladly let you buy me a beer if you wish. You have me thinking that I may not need more than 1 english yeast in house but it would be nice.

It seems that 1098 does fit the profile better than most. Jamil and Palmer have Nottingham down as an alternative in their recipe. Is it that similar?

Back