english ipa help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave81

Reaction score
Hello All

I was just after some advice with my recipe i am just trying to make an english ipa style brew and have the following entered into beersmith,its just a bit shy on colour for the style but im happy okay with that.

.15kg carafoam
.25 crystal 40l (78 ebc)
5kg marris otter
target 25gms 60min
21gms EKG 60min
21gms EKG @ 10/5/0 mins
10gms target 0 mins
21l batch
london 1968 .5 packet with 1.5l starter on stirplate
49 ibus
13ebc
1057 OG

i have these ingredients available apart from the crystal carafoam and yeast

Thanks fro any help :)

Looks good to me but I would question the carafoam. It's not really necessary in an english IPA IMO.

Also I'd use a more attenuative yeast than 1968. Personally I don't like using 1968 but beyond that you want the IPA to end up drier than you will end up with 1968. I personally really like 1187 and 1469 but if you are looking for a cleaner flavour (less stonefruit esters in particular) maybe 1098, 1099 or 1275.

Agree with black laab - drop the carafoam. Also I like 1469 for so many UK beers, otherwise 1275 from BL's list.

I've used target late and it's ok - can be a tad rough though. Something like challenger is great early and late in UK beers.
Again following on from Black Laab - look at keeping mash temp around 64-65 to get a good dry finish to the beer and the attenuation you are chasing.

Is that 21 g of EKG split between 3 additions or 21g each time?

21gms each time.1968 is just what my lhbs has maybe ill need to do a mail order and find some 1469.i was thinking about 66.c but I will go with 64/65.c
I may just drop the late target addition
Would u suggest to dry hop also 1g/l or more of ekg?

Thanks for your replys.

EKG, challenger and styrian goldings all work well as dry hops - just don't overdo amount or time.

No reason you can't go 1968 this time and see if you want to tweak the recipe next time.

Same as black labb and manticle. Im a big fan of 1469 for English ales too.
1968 is a great yeast and worth try but I find it a bit sweeter than the 1469. Also when making English IPA's I sometimes add some sugar to dry them out a bit more and get the attenuation.
Not a big fan of Target when I have used it for bittering. Never tried it as a late addition. I have just recently used some Challenger in a English Best Bitter and really like the smooth flavor, I'm definitely going to be using it again.

Cheers for the info 1469 seems a bit elusive here in perth for some reason.i guess im never gonna get rid of this target ; ) , challenger appears to be the way go for bittering and maybe some late/dry hop additions

Found some a 1469 ill get it sent over with my extra grains

I'm drinking an ESB that has Target early, middle and late. I'm loving it so much that I could bath in it! Just saying

Right 1469 it is.target as originally scheduled (as I have it on hand).ill see what I get
Im not gonna change my mind again !
Unless ; )

Latest posts

Back