Energy Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
In the spirit of these revolting "Hi Nrg" drinks, Im keen to make a beer that satisfies my addiction to coffee AND beer.
I made an espresswo stout last year, but it was no where near strong enough with the coffee tones, and Ive learnt since, it would probably be better in the 2ndary.
So... I was thinking of adding arund 2 or three litres of ristretto style coffee to the 2ndary of a stout.
Anyone have any experience or blind recommendations?

Won't help the coffee flavours, but a little bit of speed added to the secondary may help give some of the 'pep' you might be seeking :ph34r:

Disclaimer: Don't do this!!!!!

:icon_cheers: SJ

2 or 3 litres is about 150 ristrettos, you may not want that much...

I've been meaning to do a coffee stout sometime too, haven't got around to it.

A good idea might be mess around mixing up coffee and plain stout (get a commercial if you don't have a batch) to see how much coffee you like per pint and scale up to the batch.

Ok dumb question coming up!

What is gods barren earth is a "ristretto style" coffee? Stong expresso?

AdamT sounds the goods IMO.

2 or 3 litres is about 150 ristrettos, you may not want that much...

I've been meaning to do a coffee stout sometime too, haven't got around to it.

A good idea might be mess around mixing up coffee and plain stout (get a commercial if you don't have a batch) to see how much coffee you like per pint and scale up to the batch.
Brilliant! Thanks.
I forgot I did exactly the same thing adding cherry to a wit.
How stupid of me.
Will go buy some sheaf stout tonight.
I reckon I want about one 15mls per 600 - 1000 mls, that way I can have a pint of beer with a shot of coffee, and be ready for the working day.

Ok dumb question coming up!

What is gods barren earth is a "ristretto style" coffee? Stong expresso?

AdamT sounds the goods IMO.
You know a short black?
Well, its the first half of one of them.
15mls of black caffinated shit.

search out a clone of AleSmith Speedway Stout

I am not sure any craft brewers have had much luck with adding extracted coffee to beer, most rack onto ground coffee in secondary, probably save you alotof time rather than pulling all those shots

Was it in the previous edition of BYO mag the recipe replicator had a 'breakfast stout' recipe? From memory it was Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout

http://www.byo.com/stories/issue/article/i...ast-stout-clone

Just like a chocolate milkshake only.......fermented?

:icon_cheers: SJ
Last time I added coffee I steeped some grounds with the spec grains. Didn't really do much to the flavour of the finished beer, but my kitchen smelled great all day! :D

Hmmm... Perhaps I should add coffee to my 'breakfast stout' - at this stage it's getting a decent whollop of promite. Say what you will.... I love promite. I may end up keeping this entire batch to myself, due to lack of interest from others. :p

Ugh! PROMITE!!!

Just the smell of the stuff makes me feel ill, yet I love Vegemite. I wonder what the difference is?

Crundle

I wonder what the difference is?

Promite is made from vegetables and yeast extract, and is high in various B vitamins. Promite has a sweeter taste, darker colour and a softer, more spreadable texture than Vegemite.

Vegemite is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacturing, and various vegetable and spice additives. The taste may be described as salty, slightly bitter, and malty - somewhat similar to the taste of beef bouillon.

The 'vegemite' flavour is due to autolysis, dead yeast cells. It's a flaw. Promite on the other hand has some of the qualities I love in a stout.

I reckon I want about one 15mls per 600 - 1000 mls, that way I can have a pint of beer with a shot of coffee, and be ready for the working day.

Just like Homer Simpson heading to Moes for an 'eye opener' on the way to work each day.... You dont work in a nuclear power plant (or operate heavy machinery) by any chance?! :p :lol:

Promite on the other hand has some of the qualities I love in a stout.
guinnessmarmite.jpg

I Added 3 bottles of this :
http://www.xtremeherbs.com.au/herbs/guaran...iquid-30ml.html

to a CSA clone i had going, i must admit i took it to a party and was buzzing all night, and was only drinking my beer.
didn't notice any effect on flavour.

i might have been buzzing from the atmosphere, no real way of testing it.
give it a try, its great

_ have tried Steeping 800grams of Damiana ( effects like smoking weed, is all so and aphrodisiac ) Had plenty of wild girls doing naughty things that night.
you could taste it in the beer but was kinda of pleasent.

** anyone tried Kava in a beer ? i imagine it would be peacefull and you would have great dreams.

like to get into more herbal high beers.

** anyone tried Kava in a beer ? i imagine it would be peacefull and you would have great dreams.

I recon it would taste like arse.

Still, Ive been meaning to give it a try myself for a while. I have a couple of kilos of kava here - I want to try replacing bittering hops with kava (probably in the secondary). If anyone has actually done it, I'd be interested to hear how it went.

Could really be a great business op.

marketing a range of herbal beers for different occasions.

Kava - A quiet Evening at home

guarana - a good party etc

daminana - A night with wifey.

ETC

I recon it would taste like arse.

Still, Ive been meaning to give it a try myself for a while. I have a couple of kilos of kava here - I want to try replacing bittering hops with kava (probably in the secondary). If anyone has actually done it, I'd be interested to hear how it went.
bleargh!
Kava is the devils seamen!

Latest posts

Back