G'day from another Ipswichian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneCP86

Reaction score
G'day all.

Another from Ipswich here. Been signed up since December but due to account issues have only now been able to enjoy the forum.

I started brewing with a coopers kit in November, just the standard kit extract first, then with some help from the Local homebrew store have gotten a nice little set up with another fermenter, some buckets, syphones, bottle capper for stubbies and even made a mini fermenter thats around 5L out of an old protein container.

Ive since made a Morgans Canadian Light, ginger beer (non alc) for the family, an apple cider and some mead.The reason for going light on the beer is I was never a big beer person due an alcoholic mother and brother who have now passed well before their time, which then caused gave me a bit of an anti issue with it, so if I did drink it was whiskey and only 1. Any way enough bad stuff, I have always loved the smell of beer, like coffee its just magical, but learnt that it was the bitterness that I didnt like, but not giving it a chance held me back, and felt I should start slow and give it a go from the bottom and I felt if I got into the process myself I can do what I like and learn to love it more, which I have. Ive always been around home brewers in the family so had some knowlege about it. So a Canadian light is to give me a low range try on a home brew. So far I like the Canadian Light, easy to drink and fruity, the lagar kit is great too. Bitterness is actually easing for me and becoming a likable experience.

With out ranting on to much more Im also extremely interested in growing hops, I know theres a bit of conjecture on growing them up here but the old mans an old time farmer and grows heaps of fruits and veg here successfully, so gonna give it a go. Ill post in the hops section for that.

Anyway thats probably too much already

Cheers guys

Welcome aboard WayneCP86! Be sure to keep us well informed of your hop growing efforts - I reckon that if you can get them to thrive in Ipswich then it should be a doddle to do them here in Brissie. Great to hear that you are brewing for all of the family mate - there is nothing better than being able to share the fruits of your efforts.

WayneCP86 said:
Cheers mate

Im definitely gonna give it a crack!
youll probably be able to pick up a few zomes for nicks during winter if your patient, plenty of folks grow them up there.

Good luck with it all

Thanks

Saw your post mate. Will you be attending Ipswich Home Brews display at Tap'd?

Cheers

Hey guys. Be sure to get yourself involved with the local brew club there. While I no longer live in the area they are a fantastic bunch of blokes, very knowlegable and great brewers who love to talk all things brewing and share their experiences. Ipswich Brewers Union may just be the family you haven't met yet :) Say hi from me (Matt)

This Saturday Hairy Camel, go to the Ipswich Home Brew Co. Facebook page and book in with him there mate.

Thanks bigandhairy, will give a em a look.

Hi Wayne...
Im down at shellharbour south coast NSW.. and I too tried the Morgans Canadian Light.. actually was recommended from my local HB shop.

It is a great base kit in which you can build on... Very light in colour and hops and malt.
But I then had the chance to play around with adding hop teas.. steeping grains and trying different yeasts.

Im a new boy to brewing but it gave me a starting point and later will venture into All Grain at some stage..

Its great to hear other peoples stories on here..
Again.. Hello.

Hi, the longer I let the base kit sit the better it becomes, Im looking at adding some more malt and hops next time

Back