Emu Bitter clone, just lacking instructions (ingredients list inside)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blighty

Reaction score
Hey there guys, and sorry my first post here is the typical "request for help" style (though I have lurked for a bit).

Anyway, I have done a few K&K now and whilst I will eventually move to AG brewing I keep finding myself in possession of more and more cans. This time, my father has gone and purchased an Emu Bitter clone pack he wants made that is simply lacking instructions.

The ingredients list is as follows:
  • Morgan Australian Bitter (can)
  • 1kg "Booster Blend" which is a mix of dextrose, maltodextrin and light malt extract
  • 30gm Cluster Hops (2 satchels)
  • 15gm Morgan Premium Lager Yeast
I of course get the rough idea, and I do have a brew fridge so I am not worried in the slightest about getting down to lager temps. My main issue is that it doesn't specify anywhere whether or not I am going to need to boil the hops, if they need to be dry hopped, if it is both - I just don't know what it wants me to do with them!

Any ideas what I should do there?

Cheers.

Brew the kit and kilo. After it has done it's stuff (finished fermenting), chuck the hops in dry. Bottle 3 or 4 days later. Easy. If you put them in before the fermentation, the hop's flavor would be considerably muted.

Brew the kit and kilo. After it has done it's stuff (finished fermenting), chuck the hops in dry. Bottle 3 or 4 days later. Easy. If you put them in before the fermentation, the hop's flavor would be considerably muted.

Almost sounds like you've done this before ;)

Go buy another pack of yeast to add if you intend to truly ferment at lager temps (9 to 12ºC or so).
One won't be enough, unless you ferment at ale temps, and then proceed as an ale.
I use liquid yeasts, and for lagers I grow it up to 4 to 5 times the volume of yeast for a 25 litre batch.

Cheers guys, so this is roughly how I will do it:
  1. Drop in the standard K&K (goop + fermentables into boiled water, topped up to 20-23L).
  2. (Optional) Towards the end of week 1 (or FG ~1016 or so) I will raise temp to about 20*C for around 2 days for diacetyl rest (let it clean up the byproducts).
  3. Bring it back down to lager temp to finish fermentation.
  4. Once FG is stable for 2 days I will add the 30gm hops.
  5. Will bottle at the end of whichever week this ends up being (perhaps week 2? otherwise week 3).
I'll just double check if carbonation temps are lower, but that will be a quick google later on (using carb drops in bottles).

I can definitely get an extra yeast if it is recommended. Without going crazy, any recommendations? I will probably just grab another of the Morgan's Lager packs to make up the 2, unless there is a typically used pack (like the US-05 of lagers). Not too keen on worrying about liquid yeast at the moment. Whatever I do use I can just harvest again though for another time.

Thanks again.

Back