Empty c02 Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks heaps I will take it to keg king and see what they say and check out your website...

Let us know if/where you find the leak , planning on getting a gas manifold from them and it might cut my search time down one day by the sounds of it haha

This is a topic close to my heart as I hate throwing money down the drain and have gone through 2 gas bottles in about 10 kegs.

Leak 1 - on the Keg King HP guage
Leak 2 - on the washer where the bottle screws on (something changed when the weather warmed up)
Leak 3 - on the (KK) gas line at the barb on the regulator. Perished and cracked, very hard to spot, depleted the gas over about 2 days.
Leak 4 - on a SS gas disconnect which unscrewed slightly due to a poor fit on a bent post
Leak 5 - split post o-ring
Leak 6 - Invisible crack on a Chinese gas disconnect which could only be detected underwater. This also dropped the gas in about 5 days.
'Leak' 7 - keg lid for some reason bypassed the o-ring and de-carbed the keg, oxidising the remaining beer in the process. Lucky I didn't have it hooked up.

I've had a lot of bad luck but if you've followed my brewing misadventures you'll realise that's how I roll. I've decided I don't want to buy KK products because I haven't had any luck with them in the past.
Underwater test like Kev said really is the best way to go. Do it to all threaded joins, plastic items and barbs. Where you can't dunk something do the spray test like you said, but do it when it's quiet because sometimes you'll hear it bubbling and it won't be obvious to look at.

Couldn't find a leak put all disconnects under water and the manifold... Sprayed around the all other connections and couldn't see or hear anything...I think I may have wasted a fair bit when I first started but I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it unless anyone else has any suggestions?

Has to be somewhere on the cider keg then, surely. Either through the post (from a dodgy o-ring for example) or has wept out of the lid seal. There's also a chance this is a one-off and it might not leak like this again, it was just bad luck the way it was sealed prior.
It's reassuring to know that you can't find a leak anywhere else.

If you run another cylinder out early then pressurise each 'section' 1 by 1 then check for a drop in gas pressure. Isolate a section, pressurise to keg carbonation pressure, then turn gas off and wait an hour. If the needle has dropped there is a leak somewhere in that section. If gassing kegs up of course you need to be confident they are all fully carbed else some pressure will be lost in carbonation.

thanks I will keep an eye on it...the pressure was at 1000 and dropped down 2 500 over night I believe this is because I have the c02 inside my keezer and it was at room temp when at 1000

Back