Electronic Scales That I Just Bought From Ebay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the same scales here too... really handy use em for, hops, brew salts, cooking. Had em for about 18 months or so... changed the batteries once recently. Used em last night to measure out some ldme for a starter. Very handy nice and cheap, highly recommended.

Great Scales rendo. Ive had mine since i started AG, so over 3 years now. The only problem i have at the moment is my rechargable batteries i use in them have gone on the blink. Sigh, i guess batteries of that age will go the way of the dodo eventually. But what i dont like about these scales is if i have to weigh out a large amount of hops, the bowl i use covers the display! :p If thats the only issue i have, it cant be that bad.

I also got some postage/fruitshop scales that have a 5g resolution on ebay for around 20 bucks + postage and weigh up to 20KG IIRC.

Perfect for grain measurement.

snip... But what i dont like about these scales is if i have to weigh out a large amount of hops, the bowl i use covers the display! :p If thats the only issue i have, it cant be that bad.

...snip

Came across the same problem. Now when i'm weighing out something of reasonably large volume like LDME or something, i'll grab a measuring cup and perch a tupperware bowl on top of if it, tare the whole lot and then i can do my measurements and still see the display ;)

Came across the same problem. Now when i'm weighing out something of reasonably large volume like LDME or something, i'll grab a measuring cup and perch a tupperware bowl on top of if it, tare the whole lot and then i can do my measurements and still see the display

Sounds like the leaning tower of DME to me! :p

Sounds like the leaning tower of DME to me! :p
:lol: yep sure is... not saying it isn't precarious, but good thing it didn't go over last night... why is it that as soon as the Mrs walks into the kitchen to see what's going on the dme starter decides to boil over and mess up the stove <_<

love these threads!!

saves alot of looking around!!

cheers :icon_cheers:

Nothing beats my 15 year old tanita's! still going strong.

PTAN120BLK.jpg

Where were they when we were trying to measure out gypsum at the swap? We were trying to guesstimate with your grain scales and I have very little faith in my guesstimation.

For people try to weigh up to 40kg these may be of interest Luggage scales can't complain about the price (under $5 including postage). I use mine for weighing my backpack when going bushwalking.

Where were they when we were trying to measure out gypsum at the swap? We were trying to guesstimate with your grain scales and I have very little faith in my guesstimation.

in the smoking room....should of asked ;)

Ive also got a set of shipping scales, exactly the same as these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DIGITAL-POSTAL-SHIP...s#ht_3545wt_917

I sit my urn on top of it, tare it to zero, then fill it with water. Straight from the laundry sink into the cube, then pour it straight in. Bam! No more fiddling around with measuring jugs. If I need 33.25L then I get 33.25L

33.25L but they have a 50g increment.. ;)

I assume you BIAB or if it is your HLT have zero losses.

I like this idea as I have little confidence with my volume measurements.

Was always convinced that I don't need another set of scales, as we have at least four floating around the house, but none has smaller increments than 1g.

Now I found this one which goes down to 0.01g for up to 200g for $12.77 including shipping.
Sold!

For people try to weigh up to 40kg these may be of interest Luggage scales can't complain about the price (under $5 including postage). I use mine for weighing my backpack when going bushwalking.
Thanks, just brought one, sick of the stress SWMBO causes at the airport with all the crap she stuffs in her luggage, now she can work it out herself at home. :)

Fellas

I have been using these scales for a couple of years for hops and measuring priming sugar etc

I've found it to be extremely accurate - the container I measure my hops in still measures the same weight

A408.jpg

2000g @ 0.1g

Thought I'd get another one as SWMBO keeps nicking them for measure out baking ingredients and found them for $7.20 AUD delivered

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2kg-2000g-0-1g-DIGI...=item2a0ed8d9ae

Cheers

Way to bump an old thread !

But now is a great time to buy scales for your brewing, with the value of the AUD against USD being so great.

I have nothing but great things to say about these 30kg grain scales, had them for over a year and they still work very well.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Electronic-Price-Co...=item41575e2f41

My only comment would be that for mine, the stated 5g division is not true. It's 10g - to me no big deal for weighing out grain etc. Prefer to rely on the 0.001 accuracy of my pocket 'cocaine' scales, for hop measurement.

Got to laugh when the postage is 6x the cost of the scales.

I have a set of cheapy scales from E-Bay and they have worked great for over two years for measuring hops malt etc.
Only problem with mine is you have to work quickly because the auto shutdown on the display cuts in too fast.

Latest posts

Back