Electronic Scales That I Just Bought From Ebay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rendo

WTF
Reaction score
Hi Guys....

Just wanted to share. I bought these scales off ebay and I am really happy with them. (about $11 delivered to my door....within about 10 days or so.....bargain)...no affiliation at all, just a happy buyer.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Portable-Electronic...2-/220644685747

They measure to 0.1g up to 1kg. I do have other digital scales (also from ebay) and they measure up to 10kg in 1 gram increments, but I find that the 10kg scales arent sensitive/accurate enough when measuring out hops and it can be several grams out, which isnt desirable if you are trying to measure down to the gram in accuracy. My 10kg scales are perfect for everything else I do with brewing just were peeing me off with the hops. Anyway, $11...problem solved. They arent made of titanium or german engineered, but they are cheap and cheerful, hopefully they last, the plate is stainless steel, the rest is plastic. Powered by 2xAAA batteries.

Rendo

these look nifty, they have a tare function right? what about manual calibration?

yep...has a tare function, put my hop bowl on the plate, press tare and hop away :)

It does have a manual calibration....but I dont get that...care to explain to me? Wouldnt I need a predefind accurate set of weights to calibrate? WhereTF do I get those from??

the instructions say (summarised):

Only perform calibration if there is a problem

1. turn scale on

2. wait for scale to goto 0,hold down ON

3. req'd weight will display
(note: if you dont have the right calibration weights you can press TARE to select a weight)

4. add the required weight

5. calibration complete

these look nifty, they have a tare function right? what about manual calibration?

Just wanted to share. I bought these scales off ebay and I am really happy with them. (about $11 delivered to my door....within about 10 days or so.....bargain)...no affiliation at all, just a happy buyer.
Exactly the same ones I have been using for almost 2 years now, Edit: got them from DealExtreme (thanks felten I knew someone would remember the site for me)
But I've also been getting a few things via UK-Ebay recently, the AU$ conversion is very good and their shipping rates seem very very cheap (compared to the USA especially).

I also use the scales for fish-tank-salts as well as various brewing measurements, so after a couple of years they are a little worse-for-wear, but seem to be working fine (just takes them a long time to 'settle' when they are first turned on now).

Sweet....hope ur as happy as I am :) Good to hear from Wolfy that he has the same ones for a few years.....

tried new batteries wolfy? does that help the longer 'startup time'? Mine takes about 3-4 secs to be ready.

Calibration weights...sounds cool & technical....(just like me...haha..wanker)...but I'll give it a miss and buy some more hops instead :)
(maybe one day I'll change my mind, when I am laying in bed at 2am wondering just how accurate my scales are.....)

rendo

You can get calibration weights from dealextreme, like this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15761

You've convinced me to buy one of these scales!

Have same model purchased from ebay - one for 1 kg, one for 500g. One set was $5 or so plus postage the other was something ridiculous like 50 cents plus postage.

I've had them for over a year and they are great - accurate (have calibrated with other scales) and easy to use and store.

Good work.

tried new batteries wolfy? does that help the longer 'startup time'? Mine takes about 3-4 secs to be ready.
It's not really 'startup time' rather it does not 'zero' when it's first turned on, it gradually moves up to about 2-3g before it decides to stabilize, does make me ponder the accuracy and contemplate calibrating them, but once it decides it's stable, I just hit tare and it seems to work fine.
Even if it's not so accurate, for $11 and a few year's use, can't complain, besides it's not rocket science and we don't need deci centi milli micro nano pico femto atto zepto yocto weights anyway. ;)

you can get an idea of how far its out by weighing a few coins, they should have a set weight

I bought the 100 gr model from Deal Extreme. It arrived yesterday. Nice compact little unit.
It seems to work perfectly fine. I'll use mine for weighing hops, and brewing salts.

Great idea... I have done some homework, here is my research :)

A $0.20 coin is 11.3g in weight, so if you get 10 of them (hide them from the missus) it should be 113g.....Smart hey!!! Imagine getting 10 $2 coins, I'd be rich....(and that would be 66g). The heaviest being the $0.50 coin at 15.55g!

There are acceptable minting tolerances too, but its probably getting a bit anal for weighing hops etc....eg a $0.20 coin weighs 11.3g with allowable tolerances of +/- 0.30g (cant find the reference to the 0.30g value in this last statement...hence it could be BS)

The page below has the weights for all the different mainstream coins in the aust currency

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coins_of_the_Australian_dollar

you can get an idea of how far its out by weighing a few coins, they should have a set weight

Also have similar scales which you can get from here also for under $8 including postage

1kg Scales

I also got a 5kg/1g set of scales to weigh out malt and grains which you can get for under $8 including postage.

5kg scales

no affiliation just happy customer

Ive got both the abovementioned scales. Had them for a couple of months. Actually weigh more accurately than my $50, 10 year old set.

The druggies - I mean jewellers - scales are great for weighing out salts when building water profile.

Really cant go wrong with these for the price.

Gil

Oh my giddy aunt... so many scales, so cheap.

Too many choices, too many options ...

what to do, what to do.

Maybe i'll buy them all and do a review. :eek:

I'm using the same scales as the OP aswell. Got mine from deals extreme. Bloody great piece of kit. Got another set that weighs up to 5kg from Aldi. They are also smashing!

Latest posts

Back