Ecu Short Brewing Course

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things look positive at this stage. Interested if anyone else from AHB is going as well.

If I can't do the grad dip this year I'll do the short course..

Good to see you were able to get along this year Drew. It's a good week, you'll enjoy it. Try and hit John (Nail Brewing) up and see if you can come in early and help out with a brew. He's a good bloke.

Stormahead - Are you working in a brewery at the moment, or looking to enter the industry?

I'm looking at possible career change but more so just for sheer enjoyment.

I work in IT at the moment and it pays the bills :)

Just paid for the course. Hope I get in and hope to see others there.

Drewy

Just got my confirmation and info email from the guys at ECU. Anyone else booked in from AHB? I'm looking forward to meeting some new brewers and beer lovers.

Can't wait!

Good to see you were able to get along this year Drew. It's a good week, you'll enjoy it. Try and hit John (Nail Brewing) up and see if you can come in early and help out with a brew. He's a good bloke.

Stormahead - Are you working in a brewery at the moment, or looking to enter the industry?
I think John's new setup with Ferral in welshpool has been completed so he may not be brewing at ECU any more, never know your luck.

make sure you get public transport so you can enjoy the beer sessions after guys. Definitely a good way to 'consolidate' the days learning.

Yeh the beer week has come and gone. Public transport was the way to go but waiting for the train at 9:00 at night was a bit painful. All the guys were great. Tim O'Rouke a UK brew master ran the theory sessions and Hugh Dunn ran the drinking sessions. I made a list of about 20 things I want to change or keep doing from Tim's advice. Will post some pics if people are interested.

Yeh the beer week has come and gone. Public transport was the way to go but waiting for the train at 9:00 at night was a bit painful. All the guys were great. Tim O'Rouke a UK brew master ran the theory sessions and Hugh Dunn ran the drinking sessions. I made a list of about 20 things I want to change or keep doing from Tim's advice. Will post some pics if people are interested.
Yeah, post away. Last year Hugh did the whole thing solo and he comes from a large scale (XXXX) brewing background. Where was the UK from coming from experience-wise?

Hugh talking about the 600L brewery at Degrees. Jon cooked up 400L of Aussie Pale Ale.
Brewery2.jpg

A bit more of Hugh talking. His stories were full of gold for a novice like me.
Hugh2.jpg

2x 1200L fermenters, 1x 600L fermenter and 1x 600L bright tank.
Fermenters2.jpg

This rolled out most afternoons. 2x kegators and an extension lead. A mans got to dream.
Bar2.jpg

Got a tour of Barrett Burston's malting plant. 1 of 4 germination beds.
Maltings2.jpg

On the same day we did a tour of Little Creatures. This is there yeast store, Yes in 50L kegs.
Yeast2.jpg

My favourite bit, the hop store. Pallets of Cascade and Chinook. Even got to stick my head in a box of Cascade, Heaven.
Hops2.jpg

A pic of half the group enjoying a few at LC Brewery.
Group2.jpg

Just noticed in the first set of pics I have 2 pics (first and last) of Jon, the head brewery for Degrees Brewery, bent over working. Someone had to work while we talked and drunk golden nectar.

Drewy

Very interested in everyone's opinion of this course, couldn't do it this year due to financial constraints, need to pay for a wedding but I would be very interested in doing it net year.

I remember Hugh explaining Tim wasn't available last year. He writes a lot of the IDB publications from memory. I got the feeling Hugh felt apologetic about that like we were missing out on some good intel. hugh is pretty bloody great with the lectures though.
Mate great idea on the 20 things list. I just read my notes again last week and I was struggling to remember some of the chemistry parts. If i ever have a windfall I'd do this course again in a flash. Best week off work I have had in a very long time.

What did u brew on the degrees rig? what was on the taps? We had a duppel that was absolutely brilliant and maybe an alt, not sure.

We also didn't get the tour of LC and I'm jealous after seeing these shots!

Jon went through his stocks and came up with 400L of an Aussie Amber Ale. Was going to be an Aussie Pale but an accidental doubling of his color addition turned it into an Amber :) POR hops at 60min and 20min. I would like to go back and have one with the boys when it is ready.
Jon had a Summer Ale with Galaxy hops that was soooo good on tap. I emailed him for the recipe and Jon was nice enough to send it to me. I can't remember what was on the other tap. Had a few guys from Gage Roads doing the course. They were nice enough to donate some of there beers for the tasting sessions.

I think John's new setup with Ferral in welshpool has been completed so he may not be brewing at ECU any more, never know your luck.
Yeah, the new brewery has been up and running for are couple of weeks now.

Funny about Hugh running the drinking sessions, that man can certainly put a few away :D I pulled out my notes from lat year, I can certainly tell the days when I had a few the night before. :rolleyes: The Barrett Burson plant would have been awesome to see, for sure.

Jayahhdee --> It's a very good course, but you need to know what you want to get out of it. Great course for home brewers, but for $1500 you *could* buy a shed load of books and resources. However, in saying that, 5 days of great knowledge was worth it. It's a long way to go from Melbourne, but maybe take the wife and make a holiday of it. Plenty of micros over that way to keep you two amused. A great experience though. BTW, I think Ballarat Uni do a similar course during the year, though maybe not any more. Could be worth looking into

Latest posts

Back