Ecu Short Brewing Course

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the story with the GCB exam, is there one being sheduled following this or is it a case of there will be one coming up eventually, anyone here know?
It would be best you would think to have it reasonbly soon after this rather then wait months and many pints later to actually sit it.
Is there cheap back packers, rooms or some such nearby?
You could stay in Midland its right on the train line its very cheap accommodation around there for some reason :icon_drunk: and the night life will be interesting as well as the train ride home . :ph34r:
You could jump off at my train station for a beer while I call the ambulance. :icon_cheers:
GB

You could stay in Midland its right on the train line its very cheap accommodation around there for some reason :icon_drunk: and the night life will be interesting as well as the train ride home . :ph34r:
You could jump off at my train station for a beer while I call the ambulance. :icon_cheers:
GB

Hahaha such a welcome offer, Midland is a great place at night...

I wish there was a "brew uni" in brisbane .... sure as hell need one !!!!!!

Should be Duke.

I registered and paid last week, Thursday I think. From what I could tell from emailing them there were still places.

Dave

I hope so Dave,

I checked Friday and they still had some spots but, there's always a but right, work had rejected my leave request. Today I got the call and they had moved mountains to get me the week off, nice move by the boss. Something to do with the one page heart stirring man speech I put through I think. Anyway I'm now at ECU's mercy.

With any luck this should be one hell of a way to chew through a weeks worth of leave! :super:

I hope so Dave,

I checked Friday and they still had some spots but, there's always a but right, work had rejected my leave request. Today I got the call and they had moved mountains to get me the week off, nice move by the boss. Something to do with the one page heart stirring man speech I put through I think. Anyway I'm now at ECU's mercy.

With any luck this should be one hell of a way to chew through a weeks worth of leave! :super:
How'd you go Duke? Were you able to secure a place? I got an email from the uni before, and there were 11 names on the CC.

I signed up the other day. I wasn't sure how popular it would be and I wanted to make sure I secured a place. Looking forward to it.

Should be a great week. Look forward to meeting you!

Any other AHBers heading to this course?

All the best to those attending this years coarse. I'm still not talking to SWMBO after denying my application to attend. I will get to one of the coarses one year. Should start a list of AHB's attending the coarse so you can look out for each other.

Drew

All the best to those attending this years coarse. I'm still not talking to SWMBO after denying my application to attend. I will get to one of the coarses one year. Should start a list of AHB's attending the coarse so you can look out for each other.

Drew
Time to get a new wife :icon_cheers:
Nev GB

How'd you go Duke? Were you able to secure a place? I got an email from the uni before, and there were 11 names on the CC.

Should be a great week. Look forward to meeting you!

Any other AHBers heading to this course?
I got the call last night from Hugh confirming the place and emails from the Uni. now to just re-read everything i've every read brewing related so as much of the course sticks!

Should be good to put some faces to user names..

So there's a few more names on the CC now. Any other AHB users heading along next week apart from myself pbrosnan and the Duke?

To those who are attending, How's the coarse progressing?

So pissed I'm not there with you.

Drew

Drew
Very well. These past two days we've been parked behind desks going through lectures on malting, mashing, hops, boiling, cooling, aeration and other things. Quite a few from the east and quite a few from breweries including one from Swan. Bloody long day though, I mean it's like uni but without longish breaks between lectures. I think tomorrow we'll get on to some more practical stuff (the brewhouse is next door) but we've still got to do yeast and fermentation, not to mention packaging.

So pissed I'm not there with you.

Drew

It's great drew. We should be brewing on Thursday. Really getting into all the nooks and crannies of the science with a nice thick reference notebook with Hugh runs us through. Besides the odd chemistry tit bit, which isn't too hard, not much gets too difficult to absorb.

Fair bit of industry guys there from two blokes from Gage, one from Swan, and a couple of micro brewers or those gearing up to start. That in itself is good as I manage to bend a few ears on all aspects of commercial process.

Hugh knows his stuff and the industry, seems he has a good knowledge on all the big brew systems in Oz and teaches in a pretty affable manner

All in all I'm very glad I shelled out the money and rec leave, my brews will only prosper from the experience.

Oh and the flavor tastings I can handle no probs :icon_cheers:

Good info for the home brewer or more aimed at master brewers? Is it worth "ME" the back yard brewer doing the coarse?

Good info for the home brewer or more aimed at master brewers? Is it worth "ME" the back yard brewer doing the coarse?
Well it costs $1500 and takes a week and you can find most of the information in books etc yourself but this will probably take a lot longer and in the process you may waste time and money following dodgy advice or buying crappy books or going up dead ends. I've been brewing for about 8 years and some of the material is like commonsense however it validates a lot of what I've picked up over the years and provides a bit more of the scientific foundation for some brewing practises.

Well worth it, as long as your all grain. science of brewing in an easy to understand way.

Well it costs $1500 and takes a week and you can find most of the information in books etc yourself but this will probably take a lot longer and in the process you may waste time and money following dodgy advice or buying crappy books or going up dead ends. I've been brewing for about 8 years and some of the material is like commonsense however it validates a lot of what I've picked up over the years and provides a bit more of the scientific foundation for some brewing practises.

Thanks. I can justify the cost, other members of my family think the money can be spent elsewhere, but what would the misses do with $1500 worth of shoes, She's only got 2 feet! :lol: :lol:

Back