eBay Items IV

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P=VI, Voltage =240V, Max amps for most outlets = 10.
Therefore Max. Power is 2400Watts.
I've heard of 15amp outlets though, which could take you to 3600W, but think they're a special wiring job.

In my power box I noticed that my light circuit is 10A but all the others are 16A. I was wondering why it didnt trip when I ran my electric HLT and a kitchen kettle from the same outlet...

edit: its a very old house. dunno how normal/safe this is...

Some circuits may need 'startup' current, and thus should be fused, wired accordingly. Not sure I'd be testing it too often.

In my power box I noticed that my light circuit is 10A but all the others are 16A. I was wondering why it didnt trip when I ran my electric HLT and a kitchen kettle from the same outlet...

edit: its a very old house. dunno how normal/safe this is...
O/T I know, but 16A breakers for power-point circuits perfectly normal and safe. The GPOs (power points) are rated to 10A each, but you've (usually) got multiple points running on one circuit.

Having said that, I'm also surprised that you didn't trip your circuit breakers with your electric HLT and kettle running at the same time from the same outlet. Unless you weren't running a 2400W element in your HLT?

If you're planning on running a 3600W element:
1) Check with your local sparkie if you need higher guage wires to your element
2) Install a 15A power outlet for your element.
3) Your existing 16A circuit breaker should be fine, as long as you haven't got another high-current device operating on the same circuit. Based on PV=I, 3600W*240V=15A
4) Consider running your element from same circuit that your Electric Oven is on. It's usually rated to 20A. Just don't try and run both oven and element at the same time.
4) Check again with a licenced sparkie.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

$50 is not a bad price at all for that 3600W element, by the way. They retail up around $75.

Tim

If you're planning on running a 3600W element:
1) Check with your local sparkie if you need higher guage wires to your element
2) Install a 15A power outlet for your element.
3) Your existing 16A circuit breaker should be fine, as long as you haven't got another high-current device operating on the same circuit. Based on PV=I, 3600W*240V=15A
4) Consider running your element from same circuit that your Electric Oven is on. It's usually rated to 20A. Just don't try and run both oven and element at the same time.

More of topic I know

1) You wont need higher gauge wire, 2.5mm is still ok for 15A but needs to be a dedicated circuit.
2) You cant just install a 15 amp outlet. You need to ensure the whole circuit is rated incuding circuit protection.
3) Needs to be a dedicated circuit. Cant have any other devices.
4) This is against standards. Ovens need to be a dedicated circuit.

Get an electricain to install and this way you can have it RCD protected.

Spend the money and make sure its safe

Kabooby :)

More of topic I know

1) You wont need higher gauge wire, 2.5mm is still ok for 15A but needs to be a dedicated circuit.
2) You cant just install a 15 amp outlet. You need to ensure the whole circuit is rated incuding circuit protection.
3) Needs to be a dedicated circuit. Cant have any other devices.
4) This is against standards. Ovens need to be a dedicated circuit.

Get an electricain to install and this way you can have it RCD protected.

Spend the money and make sure its safe

Kabooby :)

02.gif
Yep, two and a half mil twin and earth single outlet per circuit, separate breaker on the board or sub-board.

Full AG setup
here

wowsers. In bundoora too, thats like 2 seconds from my house...anyone know who's selling it? I remember a guy on here from Bundoora selling all his keg gear, possibly the same bloke?

Has anyone had experience with these filters???

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOME-BREW-BEER-FILT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers, Pok

Yep you'll find a number of folks on this site have used them

http://craftbrewer.com.au/index.php?page=s...t&Itemid=29

;)

Note the brown plastic ends of the 1micron filter denote that it is a "nominal" filter not an "absolute" filter meaning there will be more holes in the nominal filter that are > 1 micron whereas the "absolute" filter will have far more holes at the 1 micron spec. The result.......... slightly more cloudy stuff getting through. I've used a 0.35 micron "nominal" before which is a good compromise if you're trying to save $$$ on the cartridge. Note you'll still need to spend $$ on fittings on top of what this bloke is offering.
Oh and if you are only using "Gravity" as per the ad you'll be waiting a long time for clear beer. You'll need a pump or pressure.

Back