• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you selling this, or just, for some reason, excited that there's a pump there? Either way, knock it off.

Where is Captain Obvious when you need him?

If it was listed for sale in my suburb, I'd be excitedly quiet about it!

Are you selling this, or just, for some reason, excited that there's a pump there? Either way, knock it off.

EDIT: coming from your town, so I'm going to assume it's yours. The listing says "thermally protected to pump hot liquids". This doesn't mean anything. What is the temperature rating of the pump? It also says food grade, and this doesn't mean anything either. What is the material of the head, shaft, impeller, seals, or other parts in contact with the medium?

Yeah it is mine, for sale. I am trying to give people from the brewing community a chance to get a brew pump for their AG system at a really good price. I'd rather see it go to a brewer than some one who is only going to put it into an RV. These retail for over $300 so it's not like I'm trying to rip anyone off.

If you want further info check the model on the Shurflo web site. This one is thermally protected to 90deg C and is made from polysulfone food-grade plastic rated to temperatures inexcess of 100C.

What do you know about pumps boy? :ph34r:

Protected to 90C isn't much too those pumping boiling wort unto a chiller. That why LC is asking. lots of pumps get sold as being heat proof but rnt good for brewing. Also he was referringvto the poor form of bumping ur own eBay item. If u really wanted to sell it to the brew community then u would have tied selling on on AHB marketplace first then gone eBay. Not a simultanious sale.
In saying that 90C is ok for someone not pumping boiling wort.
Good luck with the sale

I'd rather see it go to a brewer than some one who is only going to put it into an RV.

RV, WTF is an RV?

In Australia, we have Caravans, 4WD's, Fishing and Skiing boats, Swags and tents!

Yes I know, the tourists have RVs back in THEIR country! B)

Jeez... you blokes have nothing better to do than harass someone for trying to sell a pump. Get a friggin' life. If you're that bloody sensitive, perhaps you should reconsider connecting to the Internets.

from google:
What does Thermally Protected mean?
A thermally Protected motor contains a fuse that will cut off power to the motor should the motor temperature exceed a safe limit.

It means that while the internal pump bits are rated to over 100 like it says above, the actual motor will run to 90, which I dare say is higher than a March. If it exceeds that temp, it will turn itself off until it drops to a safe temperature.

edit: stupid tags

Jeez... you blokes have nothing better to do than harass someone for trying to sell a pump. Get a friggin' life. If you're that bloody sensitive, perhaps you should reconsider connecting to the Internets.

Seriously, the WHOLE WORLD is getting sick of spastic SPAMMERS on the Internet and on it's Social Networking Sites! Time has now come to tell it like it is and if your selling something, DON'T BE A RETARD - Tell us it's your thing you are advertising.

Protected to 90C isn't much too those pumping boiling wort unto a chiller. That why LC is asking. lots of pumps get sold as being heat proof but rnt good for brewing. Also he was referringvto the poor form of bumping ur own eBay item. If u really wanted to sell it to the brew community then u would have tied selling on on AHB marketplace first then gone eBay. Not a simultanious sale.
In saying that 90C is ok for someone not pumping boiling wort.
Good luck with the sale
Forgive for a stupid question from a no chiller. But how many people actually pump "boiling wort" into a chiller isnt it still whirlpooled and rested before pumped through the chiller? Which would bring the temp down slightly?

Brad

Seriously, the WHOLE WORLD is getting sick of spastic SPAMMERS on the Internet and on it's Social Networking Sites! Time has now come to tell it like it is and if your selling something, DON'T BE A RETARD - Tell us it's your thing you are advertising.
SPAMMING is by definition UNSOLICITED. This is the ebay thread. It is an open solicitation for brewing related auctions. Who gives a crap whose auction it is? It is brewing related, so it is on topic. If you don't want to buy it, just ignore it...

Find something important to get angry about...

Forgive for a stupid question from a no chiller. But how many people actually pump "boiling wort" into a chiller isnt it still whirlpooled and rested before pumped through the chiller? Which would bring the temp down slightly?

Brad

What I do is pump the boiling wort back into the boiler to form a whirlpool and chill using an imersion chiller so it would need to handle boiling liquids which it looks as though it does..

What I do is pump the boiling wort back into the boiler to form a whirlpool and chill using an imersion chiller so it would need to handle boiling liquids which it looks as though it does..
Depends a fair bit on the internal design of the pump. "thermal protection" refers to the motor, not the pump - it means that if the motor exceeds the rated temp a thermostat will cut the power. You may be able to quite happily pump boiling liquid through the impeller housing without the motor going above 50C. Or, it may be fairly well thermally coupled, so the motor temp will be higher than the medium (because the motor generates its own heat). If the impeller housing is polysulphone, it bodes well for other contact materials (gaskets, shaft, impeller, etc) being just as stable in contact with high temperature wort - probably polysulphone, SS and buta-N rubber. Certainly worth a go, but you may need to disable or modify the thermal protection.

Seriously, the WHOLE WORLD is getting sick of spastic SPAMMERS on the Internet and on it's Social Networking Sites!

This is not a social networking site. It's (sometimes) an online community. Sign up to Facebook and see the horrific difference.

Latest posts

Back