• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a right result, picked up a 391L Kelvinator in good condition for $50, went and collected, told the fella was for homebrew he said 'O I have a heat pad and some homebrew beers I'll throw in too'!! :D

A hoegarden (got to say one of my least fav beers of all time) and a Beez Kneez, but free always tastes good :chug:

Batz said:
pipete.jpg

The description says that the capacity is 3ml. Now that would be only the stem (probe), the bulb would be what, 50ml?

What I was thinking is that these could be used to harvest and store washed yeast.

Imagine a jar of washed yeast. Three layers: at the top is the beery water; in the middle is the creamy active yeast; and at the bottom is the trub of old dead yeast and hop debris etc.

So, with one of these pipetes you squeeze all the air out of the bulb and then stick the stem down through the top beery layer into the active yeast, release the pressure on the bulb and it fills with yeast.

Then, remove the pipete from the jar and up end so the stem is pointing up and squeeze the bulb a little to remove air from the stem. Then (and here's the key point) sear the stem closed with a hot knife blade or soldering iron.

You have a sealed, unbreakable and sanitary container (pipete) containing only active yeast - no air, trub or beer - which is ready for fridge storage.

Seems like a low cost and easier way of harvesting washed yeast than all that messy decanting in an effort to capture that middle layer of active yeast.

Anybody already doing this? (maybe I'm behind the game, but don't recall this process being used in anything I've read on yeast washing).

Feldon said:
attachicon.gif
pipete.jpg

The description says that the capacity is 3ml. Now that would be only the stem (probe), the bulb would be what, 50ml?

What I was thinking is that these could be used to harvest and store washed yeast.

Imagine a jar of washed yeast. Three layers: at the top is the beery water; in the middle is the creamy active yeast; and at the bottom is the trub of old dead yeast and hop debris etc.

So, with one of these pipetes you squeeze all the air out of the bulb and then stick the stem down through the top beery layer into the active yeast, release the pressure on the bulb and it fills with yeast.

Then, remove the pipete from the jar and up end so the stem is pointing up and squeeze the bulb a little to remove air from the stem. Then (and here's the key point) sear the stem closed with a hot knife blade or soldering iron.

You have a sealed, unbreakable and sanitary container (pipete) containing only active yeast - no air, trub or beer - which is ready for fridge storage.

Seems like a low cost and easier way of harvesting washed yeast than all that messy decanting in an effort to capture that middle layer of active yeast.

Anybody already doing this? (maybe I'm behind the game, but don't recall this process being used in anything I've read on yeast washing).
That's assuming that they're sanitary to start with.....

goatchop41 said:
That's assuming that they're sanitary to start with.....
Why wouldn't they be sanitary? They are just as sanitary as the Glad Wrap people use to cover their fermentors.

These plastic pipetes are blow moulded hot. The only contamination could come later from the odd airborne microrobe which might settle on the surface (in a population equivalent to a lone mouse stranded in the Sahara Desert). There is no water and nothing of food value in there for a microbe to use to feed and reproduce.

You would be hard pressed to find a more sanitary off-the-shelf container to store yeast in.

Feldon said:
attachicon.gif
pipete.jpg

I think these are the same ones I have, they're 3ml including the bulb, it's only about 1ml in the stem... Which I was kinda annoyed about, was hoping to use them to measure out 1.5ml of starsan... but oh well.

moonhead said:
I think these are the same ones I have, they're 3ml including the bulb, it's only about 1ml in the stem... Which I was kinda annoyed about, was hoping to use them to measure out 1.5ml of starsan... but oh well.
No, its 3ml in the stem.

Another pic from the same site (see volume marks on the stem):

pipete2.jpg

But even if the bulb volume is still too small there are other similar pipetes with larger bulbs out there.

Do a search for grainfather on gumtree-Brisbane region $750.Located at Montville.Seems a good price.
Don't know how to post ad(on tablet + useing Gumtree app).

Back