• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1mm is fine if you're using weldless fittings. but if you want to weld thick ss fittings onto a 1mm thick pot, then it's going to be tough going (from what I hear -- I'm not a welder). the bigger issue with those pots is rust. if memory serves, a bunch of people bought those same pots when they were available a couple years back and several people complained about rust. so ask around. but you sure can't beat the price!

mb-squared said:
1mm is fine if you're using weldless fittings. but if you want to weld thick ss fittings onto a 1mm thick pot, then it's going to be tough going (from what I hear -- I'm not a welder). the bigger issue with those pots is rust. if memory serves, a bunch of people bought those same pots when they were available a couple years back and several people complained about rust. so ask around. but you sure can't beat the price!
shouldnt have any issues welding thick fitting to 1mm stainless. im not a qualified welder but even i can tig that up. its only the paper thin ones that are a bitch to weld to.

that is assuming that the sides really are 1mm...

I'm a qualified boilermaker/welder, I'd advise against trying to weld a thick walled fitting to a "1mm" pot unless you really know what you are doing.

wealsy22 said:
I'm a qualified boilermaker/welder, I wouldn't attempt to weld a thick walled fitting to a "1mm" pot unless you really know what you are doing.
really? i just used to build stuff for a living and would regularly tig .8mm stainless pipe to 10mm flanges. mig the same in mild still all the time as well....... id be a little worried about a qualified boilermaker who couldnt achieve such basic welds..

Dan` said:
really? i just used to build stuff for a living and would regularly tig .8mm stainless pipe to 10mm flanges. mig the same in mild still all the time as well....... id be a little worried about a qualified boilermaker who couldnt achieve such basic welds..
I think he's saying the average home DIYer may not have the skills to do it

sp0rk said:
I think he's saying the average home DIYer may not have the skills to do it
except that he claimed to be a qualified boilermaker thus trying to give some authority to his statement then claimed that he wouldnt try it himself. if he just said that he didnt have the skills to or that he wouldnt trust his own work on a ~$100 pot then i could appreciate it but to try and claim someone of authority says it cant easily be done is ludicrous. maybe he needs to look on the back of a nutrigrain pack for his welding ticket rather than a weatbix box.

anyway just so you know its not me thats talking shit.... this is just hte first youtube link i found explaining how easily thicker and thinner material can be welded together. in this vid hes arc welding which is a damn site harder than mig or tig but he also claims its not particularly hard to weld... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLK6P98VGuQ

this will be the last time i threadcrap offtopic about this, i think ive made my point perfectly clear.

wealsy22, on 22 Jun 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:
wealsy22 said:
I'm a qualified boilermaker/welder, I wouldn't attempt to weld a thick walled fitting to a "1mm" pot unless you really know what you are doing.
Dan` said:
except that he claimed to be a qualified boilermaker thus trying to give some authority to his statement then claimed that he wouldnt try it himself.

No, that is an inaccurate variation on his statement.

wealsy22 said:
I'm a qualified boilermaker/welder, I wouldn't attempt to weld a thick walled fitting to a "1mm" pot
except it is exactly what he wrote before feeling the need to edit it to make it sound more believable that a qualified welder couldnt pass welding 101 and lay down one of the most basic welds....

http://s386.photobucket.com/user/nosdan/media/111Untitled_zpscjfbxo1x.png.html

but hey, talk all the shit you like...

thanks for reminding me why i hate forums. the misinformation by any standard idiot with an opinion is incredible and the circlejerk by the uneducated masses in support, regardless of obvious proof to the contrary, is unbearable.

Mate, everything is ok. I think you are actually agreeing with him from a different angle.

I didn't see the edit.

I wish I could do that type of welding. On my list of things to try!

Latest posts

Back