Easy water filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz said:
Well it's your choice, I think these things knocked out by the millions, fall into bins, scooped out and shipped will leave dings. Still if your unsure best to chuck it, after all who knows what the filter medium is ??

Batz
We posted at the same time (see above)
The filter medium is organic (coconut) as I remember :)

I too have been looking for a cheap way to filter Brisbane water and just bought a gravity fed Stefani Water filter replacement from Bunnings ($22)
Drilled a hole in the side of an old bucket and run a tube down to my Secondardary (just to store)
Takes about 2 hrs to filter 23 ltrs.
2qd8uc1.jpg

I have a filter for my fridge too I just put a JG T piece in and ran a line to the brewery and have a 1/4 JG tap on the end.
I think the beer is better with filtered water, could be me

Much thanks to the OP for this thread. I bought these inline filters (currently 5 for ~$34 delivered). They come with 2 x 1/4 BSP plastic connectors so you can rig them up very cheaply, easily & effectively as follows:

- use section of normal 'garden' hose (I used food grade hose but little difference) these have internal diameter of 12.5mm - this will be able to be pushed over the rounded section of the 1/4" connector (thats screwed into the IN end of the filter) - I put a hose clamp over this to ensure a super snug fit.

- you can then add a regular tap to hose connector to the end of this 12.5mm hose so you've got the input-source for the water sorted.

- then screw the other 1/4" plastic connector into the OUT end of the filter - you can push the 6mm vinyl tube into the hole (remove that little loose/fiddly bit of plastic thats in the hole - comes out easily) - it'll go in about 5-7mm and has a very snug fit. You can then put this into the container that you want the water to be filtered into.

Use a slow flow to keep yourself below the ~3L/min limit for these filters.

Each filter costs about $6.50 - 1m of the above hoses & connectors should cost less than $10 (you'll likely have all thats needed onhand except the 6mm tubing). They're rated for 1500 gallons - likley a huge exaggeration but still beats using Brita etc.

Thanks again OP for the idea. :)

I happen to have a couple of spare filters like those used in the post above. One has been used to provide filtered water for brewing in the shed, works a treat.

Is there any reason that these filters wouldn't be suitable to use to filter beer for clarity between FV and keg? I wouldn't usually bother but have been asked to cater quite a large event (basically doing 'karma kegs') so I've an extra incentive to improve the presentation of my beer...

Tex083 said:
I have a filter for my fridge too I just put a JG T piece in and ran a line to the brewery and have a 1/4 JG tap on the end.
I think the beer is better with filtered water, could be me
I've done exactly the same!

Latest posts

Back