East Kent Goldings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your opinion of these hops (out of 5)?

• 5 (Yum)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 (Yuck)

• Never tried them

• Total voters

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
Just for a bit of a change, I thought we could try a Hop of the Week. This week I thought we'd try the quintessential common English hop, East Kent Goldings (EKG).

So how do you rate them? What beer styles do you use them in? How do you use them - for bittering, flavour, aroma, dry hop? Any difference you notice between different forms - flowers, plugs or pellets?

Any suggestions for future hops/styles of the week would be great, so if there's a hop you are thinking of using but are not sure, just pm me.

Here's some info on these hops, taken from here.

English East Kent Golding
The Goldings are the traditional Old English hop. Developed by clonal selection from 1790 on starting from Canterbury Whitebine

Characteristics
Aroma: Gentle, fragrant, and pleasant
Storageability: 65 - 80% of alpha acids remaining after six (6) months @ 20 C.

Acid Composition
Alpha Acid: 4.0 - 6.7% w/w
Beta Acids: 1.9 - 2.8% w/w
Co-Humulone: 26 - 32% of alpha acids

Oil Composition
Total Oil: 0.6 - 1.0 mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 20 - 26% of whole oil
Humulene: 42 - 48% of whole oil
Caryophyllene: 12 - 16% of whole oil
Farnesene: <1% of whole oil
General Trade Perception: The classic English Ale hop which has been used extensively in kettle hopping and for dry hopping.
Other Information: Traded as East-Kent Goldings if grown in East Kent, Kent Goldings if grown in mid-Kent, and Goldings if grown elsewhere.
Information source: Joh. Barth & Sohn

Tell us all you know. :super:

I've only used them as a light (14g) dry hop in the Amber i did recently to try and balance the roast malt that was a bit full-on from using chocolate malt and JW Trad Ale. Turned out quite well.

I imagine a blend of these and something else English like Challenger or Target would be quite nice in a bitter, stout or any English ale.

Styrian goldings don't have the same genealogy do they, i remember hearing that the Styrians are actually from Fuggles?

I've only used them a couple of times but have liked the results. IIRC I used them as flavouring additions each time.

I'm currently growing EKGoldings at the moment and it took off alot quicker than the Hersbrucker!

I hate to sound like I'm harping on about plugs lately "however"

With EKG pellets I've always had variable results from year to year, some very good, some so-so. Just started using EKG plugs recently in English styles and totally love the results. The difference will blow your mind. :beerbang:

From here on end with my Bitters and British ales and wherever else if possible I shall now bitter with pellets and use plugs (in conj. with some pellets) for all my late additions. :)

Warren -

DJR, yes Styrian Goldings are from Fuggles.

I'm also growing some EKG, but on my mother's property so I'm not sure if they've come up yet. Last year was the first year and no cones at all :( but I have high hopes for this year. :super:

i use ekg quite alot. i really like them.
i think next time i will give plugs a go though. thanks for the tip warren.

fresh plugs for flavour and aroma - bloody noice!

Only ever used them in a Choc Porter, I didnt mind them though and it really let the Choc and Amber flourish.

Have just put down another Porter thats in Primary however this has no Amber and will hopefully let me taste the flavour in them without the 1.7kg amber extract + 200g amber grain, used 1.7 unhopped light malt instead and used gerards ND recipe for it.

I use EKG in my house bitter for all hop additions. very tasty indeed. I too am a fan of the plugs, used 'em once and haven't looked back.

EKG is one of my favourite hops, I use them in two of my house beers, an english mild and an english bitter and I also use them in my Wit. Always have them in stock.

Cheers
Andrew

EKG is a stable in British Pale Ales and Bitters at our place, used primarily as flavour and aroma additions and dry hopping too. I'll normally use challenger as my bittering hop.

For flavour additions I tend to use pellets, for aroma additions I prefer to use plugs but I'm not so hard and fast about it and sometimes will use pellets. Dry hopping is always plugs.

In darker British ales (milds, porters, and stouts) I prefer to use Fuggle for flavour and aroma.

I

Fresh EKG really puts a polish and shine on the flavour and aroma of an English Pale or bitter.

Not too bad for tarting up a kit of ale, either. Thanks Mr Cooper! (Real Ale).

Be aware that if your EKG is old, you will get a harsh bitter astringency on the flavour of your beer, and will take forever to drink the beer. Whereas, fresh EKG will make your beer so drinakble, you will consume it rapidly and wonder who stole your beer (because it's too nice to share).

Seth :p

EKG rocks :super:
I really don't like the word 'yum' you used in the poll though <_< that sounds so so gay.

Alcohol fueled brewtality
Jayse

Be aware that if your EKG is old, you will get a harsh bitter astringency on the flavour of your beer, and will take forever to drink the beer. Whereas, fresh EKG will make your beer so drinakble, you will consume it rapidly and wonder who stole your beer (because it's too nice to share).

Too true.

I did a special bitter with lashings of new seasons Goldings and I couldn't stop the tap on the fridge from pouring ...

A subsequent batch with older hops was bitterly dispointing ... :(

EKG rocks :super:
I really don't like the word 'yum' you used in the poll though <_< that sounds so so gay.

Sorry for the gayness Jayse. Just use the word all the time with my little kiddies. Next time I'll have to think of a more manly word. Nice? Lovely? :lol:

I love EKG in my bitters, porters, stouts and Belgians. Definitely, without a doubt, in no uncertain terms, go the plugs or flowers over pellets.

Cheers - Snow

i definitely agree about the plugs - been working my way through 500g of EKG pellets lately and i just can't get any aroma out of them. it's there, but it's faint and onedimensional compared to fresh plugs.

also have to say (even though we're talking about East Kent Goldings) that I really like the NZ Goldings flowers. They have a nice orangey fruitiness as well as all the tasty floral stuff you usually get. Not too catpissy like some NZ hops.

one of these days i'm planning to do an all-EKG pilsener just for the hell of it. perhaps blended with some styrian or something to give it some edge.

I love EKG both in pellet & plug form, but like all hops freshness is a must - pellets with their large surface area exposed to air tend to deteriorate quicker, but stored correctly, in my experience they are every bit as good as plugs...

cheers Ross

EGK is one of the hops I use more than most,and I perfer pellets.
Get'em fresh from "craftbrewer" and you won't be disappointed.

Batz

Back