Dumbass Question?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of the connections are barbed. It connects too a USA approved gas bottle. Im guessing all of the screw in connections are imperial.

As stated earlier, I brought a kegerator off Evilbay. It came with thick gas line. I brought a non-return valve from CB, but the hose is too thick. I cant find a non return valve that fits. Its probably stuffed anyway.

Sorry, didn't follow up on this yesterday... Can you get a smaller pic? It's far too big to tell :rolleyes:

But seriously, I've got no idea if it's got a check valve in it... Maybe email/phone the supplier? They should know.

Thanks. Ill send them an Email. Id be surprised if he knew as he mainly deals in compressors.

If he can't tell you, he should have a model name/number, google it.

Don't overlook the option is to get a different sized hose, there are literately a dozen sizes and types that will work for a gas line.
Another option is to get an adapter (I got mine from the air compressor fitting section of a bunnos but other well stocked hardware store or Enzed/Pirtek type place will have them). If the guy deals in compressors he may even have something or at least know what the thread is.

The threads are most likely 1/4" NPT but could be BSP, Google up the thread specs use a veriner caliper to check.
My regulator has 1/4 NPT thread and I got an adapter to 1/4 BSP, 1/4" barb and ball valve for under $10. My regulator is a lab grade Veriflo IR5000 surplus from work but BOC and Harris (99% sure) have 1/4" NPT on all their regulator inputs/outputs. If your regulator uses 1/4" NPT you can get a type 30 to 1/4" NPT inlet stem from BOC so you can use your regulator with Australian CO2 cylinders.

Hi Damian,

I have the same rig.

Two lots of bad news for you...
1 - that reg is shite - got one - it's made of very hard (plated) metal, you can't get it tight enough to make it air tight. I wasted a whole roll of gas tape, one whole afternoon and a tank of gas before I went out and bought a brass unit and a check valve! Best buy yet.
2 - you are missing the barb :angry: ... or in your case two of them that attach to the two taps out the bottom of your reg. I've got one - but the collar that holds it on cracked. If you find them, you will struggle to get the line (we use in this country) on.

Seriously, great fridge but they shouldn't be allowed to sell those regs IMHO

John.

Thanks for the help guys. The regulator seems to be air tight, i just went and sprayed all the connections with soapy water. I never changed the thick gas hose, i just cut the Heineken connections off the end and got a barb quick connect.

The kegs have been connected for 48 hours. I don't have any bubbles rising in the glass. Is that normal? Hmmm.

Thanks again guys, very helpful.

The kegs have been connected for 48 hours. I don't have any bubbles rising in the glass. Is that normal? Hmmm.

If you are gassing up at serving pressure it'll take about a week.

I think i know what the problem is. Ive over filled the kegs. I remember reading about not overfilling the kegs, i made a mental

note too myself not to over fill them. But i did anyway. I hope the reg pulls through. Thanks.

Damian,

if nothing else good comes out of it, this story has convinced me to bou a non-return vlave for the keg setup i'm putting together next week.

I know no real consolation, but thanks anyways.

I think i know what the problem is. Ive over filled the kegs. I remember reading about not overfilling the kegs, i made a mental

note too myself not to over fill them. But i did anyway. I hope the reg pulls through. Thanks.
Mate...have you carbed your kegs ? I use two methods depending on time...
Chill the keg to drinking temp...24/36 hours..the colder the more co2 the beer will take...
When cold...hook up gas...power up the keg...let more gas in...disconnect gas from keg...shake the shit out of it...or roll it on the ground for a count of 15...20..
And then repeat this 4 times....gas...take gas off...shake....
I then put it back in the fridge for a few hours...then repeat...
You have beer with bubbles in a day or two...
Or hook it up to and leave it on gas for a week at a high psi ( which escapes me atm)
If you do a search on this site...you'll find heaps...
Hope i've helped..
Ferg

im sorry to disagree with you fergthebrewer but,

"Chill the keg to drinking temp...24/36 hours..the colder the more co2 the beer will take...
When cold...hook up gas...power up the keg...let more gas in...disconnect gas from keg...shake the shit out of it...or roll it on the ground for a count of 15...20..
And then repeat this 4 times....gas...take gas off...shake....
I then put it back in the fridge for a few hours...then repeat...
You have beer with bubbles in a day or two..."

you would leave the gas connected but turned off so you can watch the gauge to see how much c02 is being absorbed, and you wouldnt repeat it more than once to avoid the PITA of over carbing. and you would have the pressure set to 300kpa, drinking in 15 minutes.

"Or hook it up to and leave it on gas for a week at a high psi ( which escapes me atm)"

if leaving for a week to gas up (safest method) set pressure to serving pressure, for me thats about 70 to 80 kpa.

also you can set the pressure up high and leave for 24 hrs and your good to go. for eg, last night i kegged some beer, set pressure to 260kpa, left for 18hrs and now its perfect! remember to turn pressure down and to release some from the keg to avoid over carbing, i will say it again, over carbing is the biggest PITA!

I leave my kegs at serving pressure for a week and they're fine, 10-12 psi @ 6 deg

Quickest way to know(stuff your reg) if you dont have a Non return valve is to stuff up the force carb method
It you put 300 KPa in the keg and then rock back to 120kPa and think thats right
And then turn your reg back to serving pressure say 80-100 and turn the gas on... be very bloody quick to turn the bottle off... or you will have a stuffed reg... especially if the Keg is still on its side LOL
Ive gotten lucky twice but now have a system so this doesnt happen anymore ... as well as some nice shiny new regs with Non return valves coming :p

just remember when you force carb to not turn your reg back to serving pressure unless you are 175% sure you have your keg pressure is bellow your reg pressure

Tom

I think my regs dead. I hooked two full kegs up last week. One i forced carb, and one i set at 17 PSI (119 KPA) at 5C. The one i let carb normally is pretty much dead flat. The one i forced carb three days ago,

pours all head that quickly turns too beer. I tried chilled glasses but it didnt help the head problem. The force carb one tastes and looks OK. The problem is once the bubbles on the side of the glass have risen there

are no more bubbles.

Should i fork out and buy a new reg or am i doing something wrong?

Sounds like the one you force carbed is overcarbed, and possibly the other keg has a gas leak if it's still dead flat. Vent the overcarbed keg a few times (not hooked up to the gas) untill you get a good pour, the other you might have to give the posts, lid & relief valve a spray with soapy water to find the leak.

Back