Dumbass Question?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughyg

Reaction score
Just getting into kegging and cannot get the beerline (5/16 John Guest) onto the barbed disconnect. Has anyone got any tips? I bought it all from my LHBS. Have they given me the wrong line?
cheers
HG

Run the line under some hot water from the tap to heat it up...this will make the line pliable...then try and get it on the barb.

:icon_cheers:
EK

Just getting into kegging and cannot get the beerline (5/16 John Guest) onto the barbed disconnect. Has anyone got any tips? I bought it all from my LHBS. Have they given me the wrong line?
cheers
HG

Well there is a few dumb-ass questions on this website so dont feel bad,

I was expecting,'Do animals get married?'

really hot water, a screw driver or needle nose pliers. the line is a bloody tight fit for a reason.
careeful of the knuckles. those barbs take off lots of skin!

edit: I had a heap of trouble getting my line onto my manifold.

I used near boiling water (just dip end of tube in it for 15 seconds or so),

then use needle nose plyers, stick them into tube, and force apart for 15 seconds,

then ram onto barb.

Mine has never come off, and I wouldn't fancy trying :D

Marlow

I have 2 words for you "John" and "Guest"... No mucking around with hot water and cutting up tubes when you stuff it...

I have 2 words for you "John" and "Guest"... No mucking around with hot water and cutting up tubes when you stuff it...

john guest doesnt make fittings for gas manifold.

edit: woops. just remembered he wasnt asking about gas manifold. yeah john Guest fitting for kegs. only way to go.

Is a good idea to also heat the barb as well as the end of the line, this will aid in getting it on there.

Nige

john guest doesnt make fittings for gas manifold.

edit: woops. just remembered he wasnt asking about gas manifold. yeah john Guest fitting for kegs. only way to go.

Geez CM2 what Jase crawled up your a55? :lol:

BTW OP try some keg lube or vaseline on the barb. ;)

Is a good idea to also heat the barb as well as the end of the line, this will aid in getting it on there.

Nige

absolutely Nige!!

matter of fact I always heat the barbed connection by either pouring boiling water over it or dipping it in the water and heating the hose. Have since change to JG fittings for most things now though.

:icon_offtopic:
Geez CM2 what Jase crawled up your a55? :lol:
he'd probably like it up there as he's the type of guy to f*ck another guy up the ass and not have the courtesy to give him a reach around
(thx FMJ for a plethora of memorable quotes)

now back on topic.
BTW OP try some keg lube or vaseline on the barb. ;)
would the vaseline/keg lube break down or dry up enough to prevent it also acting as a lube for the hose to come off?

edit:

also in regards to keeping knuckles safe, use a paid of angle grinder gloves if you ahve them. they are thing woven material so you get excellent movement/control but they are tough as buggery so it should protect your knuckles.

Heating the line, the plyers and the barb in a cup of just boiled water. Will take a bit of force to get the line to open up over the plyers and most likely a few soaks in the hot water as well. Once that bit is done it's onto the barb with some force and wiggling. Just keep putting it into hot water to make things easier.

:icon_offtopic:

he'd probably like it up there as he's the type of guy to f*ck another guy up the ass and not have the courtesy to give him a reach around
(thx FMJ for a plethora of memorable quotes)

now back on topic.

would the vaseline/keg lube break down or dry up enough to prevent it also acting as a lube for the hose to come off?

edit:

also in regards to keeping knuckles safe, use a paid of angle grinder gloves if you ahve them. they are thing woven material so you get excellent movement/control but they are tough as buggery so it should protect your knuckles.

Well the only barb I have is on the gas reg and it's been going strong for 12 months. Also did BribieG's the same way... :ph34r: oh feck!

I really can't see it being an issue.

bugger. wish I had of though of that when i did mine. oh well ill know for future referance if I ever have to do it again

Speaking of dumbass questions about kegging. I just kegged my 1st beer (YAY). I used the Wortgamers chart to work out the correct amount of Co2. My beer was 12C, so i added 23.7 PSI.

My question is do i have to adjust the pressure when the temprature of the beer drops? TYVM.

http://www.wortgames.com/reckoner/reckoner.pdf

No, when you drop the temperature, more CO2 will dissolve into the beer (over time) and the headspace pressure will "equilibrate" to that of the new temperature according to the chart.

Thanks Adamt. Just one more question. I brought a kegerator off Evilbay. It came with thick gas line. I brought a non-return valve from CB, but the hose is too thick.

Should i look overseas for a non-return valve that fits? TYVM

If your regulator comes with an inbuilt check valve, you'll be fine although it can't help to be extra safe. Otherwise buy one definitely.

If the barbs are removable why not just get a thinner line and replace the barb, rather than lookin OS for non return valves?

Back