Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butters73

Reaction score
G'day about to put down a Cascade choc mah porter and a Morgans amber oak ale, I picked up two sachets of Brew Cellar english ale yeast, Should i rehydrate them first(if so what is the best method for doing this) or can I just pitch them in dry? Cheers Kingo

Either way it does not matter. I now rehydrate all my dry yeast just to wake the little buggers up nice and easy before sending them out to work ;)

If you are happy just pitch them straight in.
On sachet is good enough for 19-25 Litres though.

It is good to (proof) re hydrate yeast to ensure a good start.

Just ensure you have sterile water and containers available.

Ditto on the rehydrate. Not essential but always gets things off to a good start. Just make sure you rehydrate using boiled, cooled tap water in a sanitised jar.

Semi-on topic: After using mainly dried yeast for a while for ales, I've just made a few brews with liquid (WLP005).

Mmm...Good dried yeast can do a passable job, but the liquids (especially the English ales) just have an 'x factor', an extra dimension I've never tasted in a dried yeast. I'm onto the third brew on one vial, plus I've harvested a good few starters, so the initial cost fades away very quickly.

Back