Dry Wheat Yeasts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats why I love 3333 so much(aside from the flava profile),it floccs out well and allows you to choose cloudy(hefe style) or clear(krystal) when u pour.

When judging, the sediment on the bottom would not even get a look-in unless it was stirred up in transit, as the sample poured for the judge usually avoids pouring sediment. I would not penalise a wheat beer for being free of yeast haze but I would for having too much. I do find that a little yeast in suspension affects the flavour though, which will change the overall grade of the beer.

Even skipping secondary, my wheats pour fairly clear after a few weeks in bottle, if they last that long.

I always thought the 3333 was a blend of wheat yeasts but that may have been years ago. Always did well for me.

Crystal weizen should be crystal clear. Wheat beer, so long as it isn't chill haze, would be fine slightly cloudy.

cheers

Darren

I always thought the 3333 was a blend of wheat yeasts but that may have been years ago. Always did well for me.

Crystal weizen should be crystal clear. Wheat beer, so long as it isn't chill haze, would be fine slightly cloudy.

cheers

Darren

3056 on this listAppears to be a blend.
3333 is listed as german wheat only, not specific really.

Thats why I love 3333 so much(aside from the flava profile),it floccs out well and allows you to choose cloudy(hefe style) or clear(krystal) when u pour.

Oh Yeah and ditto. The Hefe I am drinking now is to my taste is perfect , done with Wyeast 3333, just enough [cloud :rolleyes: :D funny term ] Yum.
One of the best wheats so far. :p Even the bloke next door[ who drinks XXXX and Mid] said 'does it taste like Red Back I don't mind that' I said I hope NOT, try some, he said "OK,Yum, I like that" and drank 3 pints..Ah well, he did supply my Granite bar :) for nix. Barter is good.

cheers

Darren

I couldn't see where either said they were blends. I am sure 3333 used to say that though.

cheers

Darren

cheers

Darren

I couldn't see where either said they were blends. I am sure 3333 used to say that though.

cheers

Darren

"3056 Bavarian Wheat Yeast. Blend of top-fermenting ale and wheat strains producing mildly estery and phenolic wheat beers. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (64-74 F, 18-23 C)"

Even I can see that with my beer goggles on :p

Darren and Brauluver et al...

The 3056 is a blend of (I read somewhere, so can't be sure if I'm making it up now) a clean ale yeast and a wheat yeast. After using this and enjoying it for a number of years, I'd say it's American Ale and Weihenstephan weizen.
My 3056 yeast is now about 3rd generation and is tending toward clovey now. I may have to go back to the 1st gen in bottles from 1999. I was getting plenty of banana and bubblegum back then, even when brewing kits and extract beers. I've read that it takes about 6 gen in your brewery to customise (mutate?) a yeast to your own unique specific brewery taste. Not bad if it's the flavr U want. If not, buy commercial and start again.

If anyone local to you has a weizen yeast, Ash in Perth, it would be evil of them to withhold a sample from you. Hey, it won't hurt to ask!

Drinking a Vienna Weizen right now (Vienna instead of pils, + a little US hop for flavr). I get more clove than banana, and that's using W3068.

BTW, TL I reckon that u can't get a true dry wheat yeast. I reckon K97 is similar to Wyeast 1007 and it does throw banana during ferment, but this does go with age. Drink young? why not, great simulated wheat beer, but still not a true wheat yeast for me. Don't take this as negative, tho'. I'd love to drop by and drink gallons of it, but it's not a weizen yeast. BTW, when I do drop by, I also like American wheat beers, with some Cascade or Amarillo, Simcoe, Chinook or whatever. Great Summer beers. Will have to brew half a dozen this Summer for myself, using old faithful U.S. fiddy-sik (US56).

I don't know everything about wheat beers, but I'd like to...!
Testify! :beerbang:
Seth out :p

Darren and Brauluver et al...

...snip...
BTW, TL I reckon that u can't get a true dry wheat yeast. I reckon K97 is similar to Wyeast 1007 and it does throw banana during ferment, but this does go with age. Drink young? why not, great simulated wheat beer, but still not a true wheat yeast for me. Don't take this as negative, tho'. I'd love to drop by and drink gallons of it, but it's not a weizen yeast. BTW, when I do drop by, I also like American wheat beers, with some Cascade or Amarillo, Simcoe, Chinook or whatever. Great Summer beers. Will have to brew half a dozen this Summer for myself, using old faithful U.S. fiddy-sik (US56).

I don't know everything about wheat beers, but I'd like to...!
Testify! :beerbang:
Seth out :p

Agreed! There's no way I'd say K-97 is up there with those specialty liquid yeasts and yes, it doesn't develop much complexity (probably loses some over time actually) - and if we're gonna empty some kegs of wheat beer, don't come empty handed!! B) :party:
Cheers,
TL

Kai (or anyone else with some judging experience), when judging a wheat beer would you look at the clarity of the beer prior to adding in the sediment?

Typically, the beer is poured by the stewards behind the scenes, away from the sight of the judges. It is served to them in jugs from which they pour their sample. They would never see the bottle, so they would not get to see the brew sans yeast.

Quack!

The Shot Duck

...the sediment on the bottom would not even get a look-in unless it was stirred up in transit...

I recall hearing about a fairly high-ranking competition in Australia where the beer was stored in a fridge three levels below the judging. They were hauled up three flights of the fire stair in four-stacked milk crates using a trolley just prior to being poured for the judging. Now that is bad logistics!

Latest posts

Back