Dry Stout Not So Dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crells

Reaction score
I have a problem with my dry stouts fermenting out. I have had 2 attempts at it. The first time attenuated @ 63%. The current batch I have going is about to stop fermenting & is currently sitting @ 61% (Day 10). I was hoping to achieve at least low 70s attenuation, high seventies even better.

Batch 1
3.5kg Ale (powells)
1kg Flaked barley
500g Roast barley
100g Acidulated
Safale S04
Mash temp 67.5
Efficiency 60%

Batch 2
4kg Ale (powells)
650g Flaked barley
500gm Roast Barley
150gm Pale Chocolate
1318 - London Ale III (from previous batch)
Mash temp 66
Efficiency 70%

Has anyone had any issues like this ?

I did have efficiency issues with the powells malt that I have now fixed with a finer crush and longer sparge. One explanation I have come up with is that there was not enought enzymes in the mash to convert properly :unsure: . Previous attenuation with 1318 at mash temp 67.5 for and english ale was 78%.

I guess trial an error will eventually get to the bottom of this.

Tomorrow I might try to buy some that enzyme that dries out your beer !

How good is your thermo you mash with Crells ? To me it looks like a very high mash temp or perhaps different temp layers in the wort. :blink:

Quite possible razz. At the moment I'm just sticking the thermometer in by hand. I usually move it around quite a bit to get a good indication of the temp.

I will test the thermo but don't suspect a problem due to the fact this is the only brew which has this problem. From experience a lower mash temp of 55.5 will render a wort that is around 80% fermentable.

This is why I suspect it has something to do with the higher adjuct level.

I guess trial an error will eventually get to the bottom of this.

Tomorrow I might try to buy some that enzyme that dries out your beer !

Hey Crells,

What were the OG and FG's for these beers and what ABV where you after?

Also seems like a lot of flaked barley in both recipies - flaked barley is normally added in smaller amounts to add body and mouth feel or improve head retention - say 250 to 500g.

If you were after a dry stout I would also be mashing at a lower temp than 67.5.

Cheers,

Craig

Back