Dry Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg_s

Reaction score
hello all i am very new to the home brew world. i have made my first brew what was a tooheys draught what i have just put in the bottle. and i have just got a Black Rock Dry Lager. my question is it comes with a dry enzyme when do i put it in??.

please be nice to me with this i have read another 1 of the posts about the dry enzyme in here...

Cheers Greg

well i just put it in with the yeast fingers crossed thet that was the correct thing to do..

Greg

Sorry no one got back to you on this before, Greg.

Use the search function and you'll find a few threads dealing with Dry Enzyme.

And yes, it's supposed to go in with the yeast.

And FWIW I used to use it and I didn't like it. In kit brews, it makes the taste a lot sharper (or as some would put it, it makes the extract "twang" more prominent). If you want a dry finish to your beer, you should try doing so with a well thought out hop schedule. You'll end up with a "better" beer in terms of both drinkability and from a quality point of view.

Sorry no one got back to you on this before, Greg.

Use the search function and you'll find a few threads dealing with Dry Enzyme.

And yes, it's supposed to go in with the yeast.

And FWIW I used to use it and I didn't like it. In kit brews, it makes the taste a lot sharper (or as some would put it, it makes the extract "twang" more prominent). If you want a dry finish to your beer, you should try doing so with a well thought out hop schedule. You'll end up with a "better" beer in terms of both drinkability and from a quality point of view.

cheers buddy. well as i am vey new to home brew the thought of a hop scheduel goes over my head lol.
i am hoping to get into doing lots of home brews due to the cost of beer..

Greg

by hop schedule, I'm referring to bitterness. Specifically, if you want a dry finish, you want to up the bitterness. If you want that bitterness to be "harsh" then you use a little bit of high Alpha Acid % hops. If you want that bitterness to be more smooth and unoffensive, you use more of a low Alpha Acid % hop.

Back