Dry hopping with wet hops.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chlorophyll tastes a bit like grass... It's what makes hops and plants green. I doubt drying hops/bugs will lead to a more sanitary product ( unless high temps are used), so wouldn't worry too much on infection. Alcohol and low PH will offer some protection also.
I feel ripeness of your hops will make a huge difference to final taste. Hops picked early, whilst still very green contain higher moisture and lower oil content that can lead to overly grassy flavour. If allowed to fully ripen, the oils peak and the cone becomes slightly papery leading to a nicer balance of flavours. Flavour is also variety dependent.

Yes, we could have probably picked a bit later. It was hard to judge. Some of the largest top hops had definitely dried out a bit, with burnt edges. The lower ones looked like they could go on longer. Definite Cascade smell when you crunched them in your fingers. I'm surprised that not more smell got into the final brew (seemingly). I mean, one would think you add them at flameout for flavour, yes, and to the end of primary fermentation for aroma?

I have 500g of both Cascade and Galaxy wet hops that will be going into a brew this weekend. As the dry hopping is a few more days off should I be vacuum sealing them or would they be fine in a ziplock back in the fridge for a few extra days?

When using wet hops to dry hop should I just throw them in or weight them down in a bag with some marbles?

Be careful storing those wet hops captain sparrow, they oxidise and break down very quickly when in plastic wet! A cooler whirlpool or hop stand may be safer option.

The Judge said:
Wet galaxy? We're do you get them from?
I joined a local brew club who purchased 20kg off HPA. The smell is unbelievable!

beerfarmer said:
Be careful storing those wet hops captain sparrow, they oxidise and break down very quickly when in plastic wet! A cooler whirlpool or hop stand may be safer option.
Are they ok in a ziplock bag till Saturday? I'm having my wet dry hops vacuum sealed today.

I normally brew with mine within 24 hrs wet, so I don't really know. You will know when you open the bag and sniff test. They will have a strong Parmesan cheesey rotten feet smell if the oils have turned rancid. Like most things brewing, experience is your best teacher. Nature designed those cones to repel water and protect it's seed, i can't help but think a warm hopstand helps break these defences allowing your wort to extract more oil and resin goodies.
It's a trade off as you will then lose some to co2 and yeast flocc. I have heard people vacume sealing wet hops then freezing with so so results. How's the pilsner taste? ;)

I used my Saaz within 5 minutes of harvesting so no hassles there. Pilsner is still a little green but carbing up nicely. Who's this? Nige?

Galaxy were still smelling great this morning so fingers cross they hold out to Saturday otherwise I'll supplement with a dash of pellets.

DigitalGiraffe said:
I used my Saaz within 5 minutes of harvesting so no hassles there. Pilsner is still a little green but carbing up nicely. Who's this? Nige?

Galaxy were still smelling great this morning so fingers cross they hold out to Saturday otherwise I'll supplement with a dash of pellets.
Yes mate! How did you guess?

Back