Dry Hopping Primary...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocko

Oh Dear..
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am attempting my first dry hopping and want to do it in the primary because the thought of racking this early in my brewing life [5th Brew] is not that appealing to me....

So I add pallets when fermentation is complete, yeah?

I am thinking sanitise a funnel and drop em in through the airlock hole, the guy at my HBS said just take the lid off... But won't the C02 layer be depleting if fermentation is finished?

AND How long do you let it sit after adding the hops?

As always lads, simple stuff I know, but all help is very much appreciated. I trust this site more than the HBS...

Cheers
Cocko

:beer:

Personally I just throw them in at the start of fermentation, and can't be bothered with disturbing it after that unless I'm botttling or racking.

Racking really does help you out - especially if you don't want much sediment in your bottles come drinking time! It also give you an excuse to buy another fermenter, so you can step things up a notch if you want...just put a second brew on after racking the first.

Cheers - boingk

Personally I just throw them in at the start of fermentation, and can't be bothered with disturbing it after that unless I'm botttling or racking.

+1 Toss them in at the start. Even though dry hopping wont impart bitterness, this method still needs some time to impart aroma.

I am thinking sanitise a funnel and drop em in through the airlock hole, the guy at my HBS said just take the lid off... But won't the C02 layer be depleting if fermentation is finished?

You could throw them in after a few days, but before its finished fermenting. That way you can remove the lid, and the continuing fermentation will replenish your CO2 layer.

I've been told that you shouldn't dry hop at the beginning of fermentation as it presents an increased risk of infection. By letting fermentation run for a few days before adding the hops, you've got some alcohol in the wort (and less oxygen) which presents a less hospitable environment to any hop-borne nasties.

Gentlemen,

I am attempting my first dry hopping and want to do it in the primary because the thought of racking this early in my brewing life [5th Brew] is not that appealing to me....

Ok to do this, but watch out for the extra hop crap in your brew. Best to put the hops in a sterilised stocking (or buy the hops in a tea bag format from the HBS) and this way the fine hop bits do not float around in your beer.

Once I put loose hops into one of my primary fermenters and I end up with lots of little hop floaties in the final beer. I had to filter the beer into a keg to get rid of the hop bits. This would be a problem if you are bottling as the hops will end up in the bottles.

Barry

It is best to dry hop after primary fermentation as the carbon dioxide produced will scrub compounds extracted from the hops.

After 7 days, take the lid off, toss the pellets in and wait another 7 days.

28 grams of Styrian Goldinngs in a ESB , but hey what a good idea may try it in the primary next time , does it work ??

Pumpy :)

DSC03776.JPG

I usually chuck a teabag type hobs bag into the primary after a week. Seems to do the trick and give you the aroma you want.

Sorry to hijack Cocko - but what are the benefits of dry hopping?

28 grams of Styrian Goldinngs in a ESB , but hey what a good idea may try it in the primary next time , does it work ??

Pumpy :)

Yes it does.
As said above, wait until primary fermentation is largely complete and then bung them in.
I don't worry about a sock or bag or whatever, I just secondary, or more often these days, crash chill and gelatin to the keg...

Ohh right - is it still called dry hopping if the hops have sat in a cup of hot water first?
Possibly. I'm not sure it is that important. I think sometimes people call this wet hopping but I'm not sure it matters. Find a way that works for you and go for it.

I have just done my first dry hop and i used pellets because they fall to pieces and fall to the bottom of the fermenter so you dont have to filter it and they dont float around in the beer

so my advice would be to dry hop with pellets

I have just done my first dry hop and i used pellets because they fall to pieces and fall to the bottom of the fermenter so you dont have to filter it and they dont float around in the beer

so my advice would be to dry hop with pellets

Cheers, Did you boil them first?

When and how did you put them in?

How long are you going to leave it sit?

Cheers
Cocko.

You can dry hop with pellets straight into the fermenter, or tea bags, or hops in a stocking. It does not really matter that much. As long as the hops come into contact witht he liquid wort and get to soak in it, so the flavour and aroma is leeched out of the hops. Chucking pellets in is one of the best ways as these are concrentrated to a degree and when they break up they release the flavours and aroma really well.
Only problem with that is, if you are trying to keep your beer noce and clear and clean you run the risk of getting those little bits of hops in your end product. Also they have been known to accumulate and block the tap when you go to bottle, or rack or what ever. But if your carefull you can get your beer out without any of the broken up hops gettinginto your beer. Many people also don't worry at all about this, and don't mind those little bits of hops getting into the final product.

Back