Dry Hopping In A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
G'Day all, tomorrow i plan on kegging an APA and plan on dry hopping about 20g Amarillo in one of my 19 L corny kegs. I had few questions.

1. Is it best if the dry hop mechanism (sanitised stocking) is at the bottom of the keg or does it not matter that it may float at the top?

2. Can i drop remove the dip tube, drop the hop stocking to the bottom of the keg and then put the dip tube over the stocking to hold it on the bottom. I then figure that any beer that comes through the dip tube will need to pass close to the hop sock and this will result in a fresh hop aroma. More so if the hop sock was floating. Am I on the right track or way off?

3. How long should you leave the hop sock in the keg for?

Cheers

G'day Matt. You can let the stocking float, but put it on a tether. That way when your ale has the desired flavor you can open the keg and remove the hops. I use unflavored dental tape to tether the bag to the lid. Don't put the stocking under the dip tube, it will block the flow. Generally speaking 1-2 weeks in the keg gives a nice flavor, good luck. :D

read this!

I have dry hopped a hand full pellets in keg for a week.
They do break up and there are floaties in beer.

I stick to dry hopping in secondary vessel these days.

Matti

Back