Dry hopped like a dropped pie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incidentally I used to describe one of the HR ladies at my old workplace as 'looks like a smashed crab fucked a drop pie'.

She had a personality that matched.
Glad your beer is back on track and yes - patience is gold.

tj2204 said:
Brewed a BIPA a few weeks ago, tasted great out of the fermenter and forced carbed (before dry hop in the keg)

Kegged last Sunday and keg hopped with 50gm each of centennial and mosaic + 25gm vic secret.

Snuck an early taster schooie tonight and it has gone from glorious to tasting like swamp water.

Is this just the slight dankness of the vic secret and it will die down, or am I going to have to drink 19l of sewerage?

Pretty gutted after my loss of a nearly full keg yesterday due to a poor disconnect seal, help!

Would buying some isohop and boosting the bitterness help?
:lol: That's how I felt after using Mosaic for the first time. That hop is freaky weird funky in my opinion. Even when I have used it at low level additions at various times. Its a stand out flavour like no other hop I've tried.
But friends willing to try my beer gave that a higher thumbs up. It was after months of aging though. It needs time is all. It did turn out to be an outstanding good beer after months.

It's probably down to your hop selection. Time will heal. B)

As a basic rule of thumb, I find that high AA hops are less suited for dry hopping than low AA. Vic Secret is around 16%, right? Compare that to noble hops such as Saaz at around 3% or Styrian Goldings at around 5%.

peteru said:
As a basic rule of thumb, I find that high AA hops are less suited for dry hopping than low AA. Vic Secret is around 16%, right? Compare that to noble hops such as Saaz at around 3% or Styrian Goldings at around 5%.
That's a broken thumb. Vic secret is recommended specifically for late and dry hopping.

Sure there are always exceptions and it also depends on aroma profile you are after. In some cases you will end up using high AA hops because that's what gives you the profile you are after. However, I would say that low AA hops are a better choice for dry hopping more often than high AA hops. That does not mean you should not use high AA hops.

Latest posts

Back