Drinking Chocolate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matr

Reaction score
Was wondering if it would be ok to add drinking chocolate to the mix???
It is made of Cocoa Power, Sugar & Mineral salts (from the side of the Cadbury tin)

I know this may be the cheats way but just want to try for experimental purposes.... I don't want to add it though if it will screw the batch.

Was going to try it in a twocan stout / darkale.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Mat.

Was wondering if it would be ok to add drinking chocolate to the mix???
It is made of Cocoa Power, Sugar & Mineral salts (from the side of the Cadbury tin)

I know this may be the cheats way but just want to try for experimental purposes.... I don't want to add it though if it will screw the batch.

Was going to try it in a twocan stout / darkale.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Mat.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

why?!!!?!/!????!?!?!!?!

:blink: :blink: :blink:

why?!!!?!/!????!?!?!!?!

To get a chocolatey (is that a word) tasting stout...

By your reply obviously not a good idea????

You'd probably want to be adding it later in the brew - say secondary. Otherwise most of the aroma and flavour would be blown out during fermentation.

There was a thread recently about a chocolate stout (recipe from the ABC?) which may have some more information.

You could try it, it probably has been done before. You might find it easier to use a chocolate extract (maybe one of the ones for chocolate liquor ?) to get the effect you are after.

Ok Thanks mate. Just a thought but I think I'll forget about it.

Make up the Cadbury's chocolate mix with hot water, and then chill it. This will allow you to skim of the fat before you add it to the wort.

Cadburys Drinking Chocolate has more sugar than chocolate, so be careful how you use it. Put it in the fermenter and the yeasts will eat the sugar, leaving bugger all chocolate. We had a good discussion about this a couple of weeks ago and the types and varieties of chocolates that found there way into beers (mainly stouts & porters). See if you can find it as it makes for interesting reading.

To get a chocolatey (is that a word) tasting stout...

By your reply obviously not a good idea????

i dont have much of an idea about whether or not to do it, but i just remember that (if this is the same stuff) that when i have made cadbury drinking chocolate, it has something like powdered milk of something in it which makes it more like chocolate milk when made up with water and not chocolate cordial. and from my experiments (read: initiations at uni games) milk+beer=VERY not good. try that little experiment yourself some time...

i dont have much of an idea about whether or not to do it, but i just remember that (if this is the same stuff) that when i have made cadbury drinking chocolate, it has something like powdered milk of something in it which makes it more like chocolate milk when made up with water and not chocolate cordial. and from my experiments (read: initiations at uni games) milk+beer=VERY not good. try that little experiment yourself some time...

Yes, better to look at much better alternatives for choc beers. As said, more sugar than chocolate in cadburys, a lot of other blokes like the Lindt products. I ended putting seevral very overcarbed Cadbury chocolate porters on top of a near to empty keg of regular porter and a several bottles of choc chilli stout (from the same experiments) - the mongrel keg of chilli choc porter was actuially bloody lovely. At the end of the keg though, the sediment looked more chocolate than yeast !

Got a porter planned for next week will be bottled with a number of variations again - chill with/ without choc and a choc raspberry. Going the Lindt way. See if you can find that chocolate thread from a bout a month or two ago, very interesting read.

Why not use cocoa?
We go though a lot of cocoa in our house in "chocolate" milk and
I can tell you that woollies home brand is excellent. Much better than cadbury's. :)

I have used a lot of choc's in porters in the past and I got good results with 50g of Cocoa powder and the porter I have fermenting now has 200g (2 blocks) of Lindt 85% Cocoa choc in it and it tastes great :wub: . Can't wait to keg this one.
Drinking choc.................... :wacko: ..............No

Steve

Hey,

I've just been reading Jamil's book and his advice is too use unsweetened cocoa power rather than any drinking chocolate etc. You should add the cocoa powder one minute before the end of the boil to sanitise it and mix it through the wort.

From memory I think you add about 250gm for a batch??

I probably wouldn't add anything with too much added sugar or milk products in it.

Yeah I've seen a few recipes that even say to throw a few blocks of choc into the kettle

Put this down yesterday using:

1 can Coopers Stout
1 can Coopers Dark Ale
500grms LDME
200grms Cocoa Powder (100% Black & Gold brand)
200grms Dark Brown Sugar
both Kit yeasts

Filled to 21L

OG: 1078

Smells & tastes bloody fantanstic. Only problem I have is the volcano errupting out of the airlock!!!!!

There was an article in BYO about using chocolate with methods etc...
It can make for a very tasty beer...

I have used a lot of choc's in porters in the past and I got good results with 50g of Cocoa powder and the porter I have fermenting now has 200g (2 blocks) of Lindt 85% Cocoa choc in it and it tastes great :wub: . Can't wait to keg this one.
Drinking choc.................... :wacko: ..............No

Steve

SJW,

I have just kegged my first Chocolate Porter with 250g of Lindt 85% cocoa & a quick taste indicated to me that I could have used a bit more.
Would you mind giving us an update when you start on your keg?

TP :beer:

Latest posts

Back