Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Sarsparilla

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by cansofculture, 22/4/19.

1. cansofculture

Posted 22/4/19
    Im interested in doing a sarsparilla porter. Possibly with added vanilla.
    I have never brewed before but this is sort of a dream beer of mine which i have never actually seen before. I am going to obviously start brewing simple kits first and then experiment once i have the hang of it.

Im just wondering if it would be possible to mix a sarsparilla kit (colony west) with a dark ale or port or stout kit and brew them togeather? Would both yeasts need to be identical? Or would i just use a single packet of yeast? Would i add the same amount of sugar 1kg per kit? So 2kg in total? And would i just double the water 23lx2 so 46 litres? I do have a fermentor big enough to handle that size a brew. Also if i wanted to ad vanilla essence would i add it prior to bottleing or before fermenting. Could i used real vanilla. Also curious about cinnamon. Anyway just food for thought. I know i have a long way to go. Thanks

2. tanked84

Home Page:
    Posted 23/4/19
    You could brew a porter and maybe add some sarsaparilla syrup or essence to the fermenter

3. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 24/4/19
    Great idea, theporter part of the drink could be damaging your liver, while the sarsparilla could be fixing it;)

4. cansofculture

Posted 24/4/19
    Hahaha.. love it. Ying Yang porter.

wide eyed and legless likes this.
  5. bigmacthepunker

Posted 24/4/19
    I love Sars and I love Porter. Love the idea. All of the alcoholic sarsaparilla I have in the USA were not very good. Good luck. Interested in your results.

6. cansofculture

Posted 24/4/19
    Ill keep you updated.. currently brewing a straight sars.. i'll let you know results of this also

bigmacthepunker likes this.
  7. blekk

Posted 30/4/19
    I've done a alcoholic root beer and it turned out pretty good, nice sars flavour with a hint of caramel cream. Depending on the alcohol % in your brew it might make the sars flavour a bit bitey and bitter.

cansofculture likes this.
  8. cansofculture

Posted 2/5/19
    Ok.. im not sure how to read my hydrometre. When i first put it in my mix. It reads 1010.. leave it a few minutes and it reads 1030.. what is going on? Should i add more yeast?

9. cansofculture

Posted 13/5/19
    Brewed the batch.. bottled it.. oly been a bit over a week.. there is no carbination at all. I think possibly the sars didnt ferment. Doesnt taste same as originally but i can't tell if it is alcoholic. If it is.. its very weak.

10. Magic_Mike

Posted 2/7/19
    How did this turn out for you? I'm keen to try the same

11. cansofculture

Posted 5/8/19
    I ended up using 2 bottles of liquid.. becuse I had no idea about brewing and didnt realise I could have probably just brought more yeast. Anyway.. I love sarsparilla. But it didnt live up to expectations.. but probably because the mix was doubled.. it had a horrible taste of artificial sweetener. And it was pretty much non alcoholic. I'd say around 3% or less. A bit of a waste of time.. especially as I was so excited for it.. it's all sitting in bottles still but I'll probably end up pouring them out to make way for more brews.

12. cansofculture

Posted 22/8/19
    Ok.. so I'm revisiting this idea... so far I did a tucan dark ale and stout, with 1kg dextrose and 1kg be 3. 300g or 400g lactose not really sure.. put some in my cider and the rest of the bag in my beer. I gave it 130 shakes of my cinnamon sugar.. 15ml of vanilla extract and half a cup of golden circle sarsparilla cordial. So far so good.. still tastes very much like beer thanks to the tucans.. but the sweetness cuts the edge off the bitterness of the tucans and I feel like I can note all flavors without being over powerfully.. I will leave another 2-3days (it has been in 2 weeks already) and then retaste and adjust before bottling

13. cansofculture

Posted 22/8/19
    But at present it is in the ball park of what I was after. A beer that tastes sarsi