Drinking Alcohol While On The Job

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is one for drinking on the job
a few years ago I was in the Canary Islands with a couple of mates and we had finished a week R&R there and were heading back to the airport. We got picked up by a taxi and a couple of minutes into the trip he pulled into a servo and came back with a 6 pack. He then offered each of us a beer (there were three of us) and also had one himself, then proceeded to roar up the freeway to the airport doing 160k's an hour. We all drank our beers thinking they might be our last :eek:
we can now look back and have a chuckle :D

Is it just me or are we using too narrow a definition of "on the job" ?

About 40 years ago I was assigned to help two young Swiss engineers set up a couple of automatic lathes (Fischer and Oerlikon) in our machine shop. When we sat down by the machines to have a cuppa at smoko time, they were both surprised that the other operators around us were not drinking their bottle of beer. They assured me that that was normal practice back home. I'm sure this must have changed by now. Zwicker may tell us.

Edit: remove the double negative you moron!

Tony M said:
.... Zwicker may tell us.

Hello mates,

to this topic fits my explanation Ive made, referring to the Name Zwickel:

long time ago, when the brewing-process has not yet been automated, means, when brewing beer was still an handcraft-job, each Lagertank (Vat ?) had an Zwickel.
Thats an little faucet (Tab ?) where the "Braumeister" (Brewingingeneer) took samples for testing the quality of beer, was supposed to, but the sampling-rate has been very high, so mostly the Braumeister has been carried out of the brewery after his work.

That means, drinking beer at work, can be a duty as well.

Tony M said:
About 40 years ago I was assigned to help two young Swiss engineers set up a couple of automatic lathes (Fischer and Oerlikon) in our machine shop. When we sat down by the machines to have a cuppa at smoko time, they were both surprised that the other operators around us were not drinking their bottle of beer. They assured me that that was normal practice back home. I'm sure this must have changed by now. Zwicker may tell us.

Edit: remove the double negative you moron!
[post="102514"][/post]​
I actually work in the machine tool industry selling german machinery here in australia. Some of our customers that have visited the factory in germany have reported the a similar thing , that the guys would have a beer beside them even whilst they where biulding the machines.
Doesnt seem to affect the quality of the product that for sure.

vlbaby.

I used to work in a job where going to the pub, getting plastered, and returning in the arvo was not only tolerated, but expected.
Funnily enough, it was the most productive place i have ever worked in.

Goat said:
Is it just me or are we using too narrow a definition of "on the job" ?
[post="102500"][/post]​

LOL :lol: But the ladies just Don't understand!

As a pro musician for many years, ( back before kids came along ), we would never dream of going on stage without plenty of beer. Infact it was in the contract !
Then backstage was another thing !
:p

I do sound for bands in the pub scene, people usually want to buy me a beer. It is frowned upon if I say no... so I say yes to most commercial swill. Better for business, especially if you return the favour at your shout.

I guess they live by the standards my grandfather passed on to me:

NEVER TRUST ANYONE THAT WON'T HAVE A BEER WITH YOU

Cheers,
Jarrad

Couldn't agree more Jazza. I've worked with a few people that refuse and they've all ended up being dogey!
The bass player in the band i was in used to get so pissed that he'd eventually stumble too far away and unplug the cord out of the head. Amazingly he'd never play a dud note or miss a verse and sang like a trooper through the whole show. Even at band practice he'd knock off a dozen beers and a packet of ciggys. These blokes were a lot older than me and they'd have an esky full of ice and beers ready on stage from hotel management before they'd go on. Those were the days of riders :) A mate of mine does the one man band thing and he reckons nowdays he's lucky if he gets a glass of post-mix fizzy drink :(

Maybe we should put out an AHB CD in time for Xmas :) I'll do the slow bluesy number - my fingers are slow.....

Another music industy muther f@#&$r here..... :chug: :chug:
were is the drink rider? :super:

Stronger than death
Jayse

I worked as a doorman in the cross for a few years. Free entry into the strip clubs and free beers before work. Went to work with both a buzz and a boner!

I used to work with a bloke who had a couple of pots every lunchtime. He'd come back and go into the dark room to read tests on the microscope and fall asleep. You always knew because when he came out he'd have two big rings around his eyes like a panda from where his head had rested on the eye pieces. But that was a long time ago - can't get away with it now.

Hey Weiz!

Just checking your bio... Are you a Rodney Rude fan? :p

Warren -

Latest posts

Back