Drink It Freddy, Drink It....or Should I Just Toss It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruntus

Reaction score
I'm umming and arring about whether I should keep on drinking a wheatbeer which is showing unpleasant level of phenols. Will it harm me if I keep drinking it?...I'm thinking not.

I'm hesistant to chuck it because I don't want to be without beer for two weeks....yes, I have a problem....don't we all.

I know that a certain level of phenols is expected for a wheatbeer, especially if it is fermented at the low end....but I've done this recipe 5 or 6 times before without a result like this.

I think the problem may of been caused by the combination of things:
1. New 60L fermenter.....it smelt very plasticy (is that a word) so I decided to let it float around in my pool (salt water) for a couple of days (I have done this before with previous fermenters). I gave if a good clean afterwards and always use the recommended dosage of Starsan before use.
2. New 2x25L cubes for nochill.....same as above
3. White Labs Hefeweizen Liquid Yeast (WLP300) fermented at 18 degrees celcius.

Any thoughts/recommendations guys?

Hi Grant.
Have you seen this before: http://www.scribd.com/doc/3506/Off-Flavor-Flash

Some good info on causes of all off flavors - chlorine is a possibility - I usually prime new plastic with some PBW and hot water, and then a dose of starsan.

I don't think they'll do you any harm except perhaps a wicked hangover.

/ Richy

How old is the beer?

I've had some fairly nasty phenols using that yeast that cleared up in a couple of weeks.

I have a theory that if you never want to make the same mistake again you have to drink all your bad beer.

Luckily I've never had more than a bottle infection....

Tried the same beer again tonight and could not detect any phenols.....what the?

Can your sensitivity to these compounds change in a day....or am i going crazy?

Crazy. Phenols will do that.

Latest posts

Back