Drilling Stainless Steel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Step Drill bit, you'll never look back. Low and slow with a bit of cutting oil!

Seifer said:
Step Drill bit, you'll never look back. Low and slow with a bit of cutting oil!
Stepped drill bit was fckn useless on my keggles - managed one hole out of it before it was stuffed and wouldn't do any more. The best bits for the job are the tungsten carbide tipped hole saws that Keg King have. I've drilled a dozen holes through heavy stainless kegs with them, they cut like butter and are only about $10-$16 each!

Frothie said:
Stepped drill bit was fckn useless on my keggles - managed one hole out of it before it was stuffed and wouldn't do any more. The best bits for the job are the tungsten carbide tipped hole saws that Keg King have. I've drilled a dozen holes through heavy stainless kegs with them, they cut like butter and are only about $10-$16 each!
Are you using cutting oil/fluid, slow speed and applying pressure?

sp0rk said:
Are you using cutting oil/fluid, slow speed and applying pressure?
Yeah, but the step bit material is just too unforgiving for stainless steel using a hand drill, I got one hole ok but a couple of slip ups with drill pressure or drill speed - the drill stops biting into the steel and its all over, the bit edge is rooted. The tungsten carbide hole saws just bite in and chew through stainless all day long and are cheaper!

tct-hole-saw2.png

Seeing this thread brings back some bad memories.

A couple of months ago I wanted to install some thermometers into my 70L SS pots. To do so required holes drilled into the pots.

I bought a step drill bit from bunnings, a super cheap one, thought it'd do the job. Took it home and had a crack with a bit of WD-40 and a low speed. Nothing. Not a dent. Absolutely no effect what so ever.

I took that step bit back to bunnings and returned it for a more expensive one. The bloke said to try using a punch before or at least putting some tape down first, so the bit wouldn't slip. Get home, have another go. Nothing. This time you could see the tiniest spec where I had attempted to drill a hole.

Took that bit back to bunnings for a refund. Went to Keg King to see what they had. Turns out they had some tungsten carbine hole saws on sale (listed above) which are for this exact purpose. The bloke there said they use them and it should work without any problems. AWESOME. Took it home. The pilot bit on the saw didn't make a dent. How the crap could I drill my hole if I couldn't even get a pilot hole drilled. Honestly had never been so frustrated.

I ended up taking the drill bit back and got them to hydraulically punch some holes in my pots for me, for a very reasonable price of $15 per hole.

Now I need some more holes for a sight glass, which is why I tried to buy my own bit, as I knew I'd want more holes in the future. But I really can not be fucked to go through all that again. I'll probably end up taking my pot to KK for a second time.

maldridge said:
Took that bit back to bunnings for a refund. Went to Keg King to see what they had. Turns out they had some tungsten carbine hole saws on sale (listed above) which are for this exact purpose. The bloke there said they use them and it should work without any problems. AWESOME. Took it home. The pilot bit on the saw didn't make a dent. How the crap could I drill my hole if I couldn't even get a pilot hole drilled. Honestly had never been so frustrated.
Actually, the pilot bits on these are a weak point. Trick is to use a center punch to mark the center - then use a normal sharp drill bit ~4-5mm to drill a pilot hole, then use the TCT hole saw.

I had no luck using a hole punch at all. I just felt like because it was a pot and was hollow, when I wacked the punch it just wasn't solid enough to dent the steel.

I've drilled many holes into kegs using my cheap ebay stepped dill bits. Even with a stepped drill bit you still should use a pilot hole. Really slow speed, medium pressure and heaps of lube. If the job starts to get hot and the lube smokes, stop and let it cool down.

While we're sharing stainless drilling tips, don't be tempted to 'pulse' your pressure - press hard and drill for a few seconds, then stop drilling and let it all cool down.

Backing off the pressure just means less cutting and more heating.

QldKev said:
I've drilled many holes into kegs using my cheap ebay stepped dill bits. Even with a stepped drill bit you still should use a pilot hole. Really slow speed, medium pressure and heaps of lube. If the job starts to get hot and the lube smokes, stop and let it cool down.

Kev,

Did you use the STep bit for the Uxcell elements or just a normal drill bit? Looking to buy a few in the coming weeks and not sure what drill bits I will need to install them

Cheers

Robbo

robbo5253 said:
Kev,
Did you use the STep bit for the Uxcell elements or just a normal drill bit? Looking to buy a few in the coming weeks and not sure what drill bits I will need to install them

Cheers
Robbo

For the Uxcell elements I used a normal HSS twist drill bit, but there is no reason you could not use the stepped drill bit for it.

For $11 posted those ebay step drill bits (type 1) are a bargain, but they took a month to get here. Even the Bunnings ones should be ok if you pre drill a pilot hole and don't get them hot. Use plenty of CRC/Diesel/Engine oil to keep it lubed and cool.

Ultimately it doesn't matter which one you get, HSS twist, stepped or hole-saw, if you spin the drill fast and overheat the job you will make life hard for yourself. Even if you use WortGames idea, drill for a sec, and go pour a beer. It may take 30mins to drill the hole you will get there without damaging the drills or the job.

I'm putting in a big thumbs up for the godblessed sheet metal punch. Hell, putting that hole in my kettle was eeeeeaaaaasy. Literally the hardest part of cutting the hole in my pot was drilling the guide hole for the center bolt on the punch. I was totally astonished how quick and simple that was, with no burrs etc. Wow. As far as I can tell there's no chance of work hardening either, but then I'm no metallurgist. But really, if you want a simple solution for getting the hole in that pot, check these out:

http://www.pretooling.com.au/products/sheet-metal-punches-3-point.html

(No affiliation etc...) There are plenty of sources here in Oz and on eBay.

Back