Draught Kegs At Dans

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried the weizen keg (one with a monk on it) - nice german style wheat beer. First few glasses are especially good.

Reuse:

Short answer: Yes, you can.

One tip - DON'T carb it with the 6 or 7 teaspoons of sugar that you might calculate from 5 litres divided by 750ml = 6.666. You WILL blow out the tap O-ring and have the most over-carbed beer explode all over the place. (Yes, I've done it!)

My research indicates that 3 teaspoons (about 15g) is enough. I will be trying this soon.

I too am surprized this idea isn't more popular. There are places in the States that sell parts and even mini-CO2 canisters for these, but not here. You'd think HB shops would be selling a kit with new 5L keg and seals, but no... 19L commercial setup or nothing.

You have tried the Moenchshof Kellerbier (thats with the monk). Its quite a good drop and I used to drink that in germany occasionally as well.

Have a look here

The 5l party kegs are quite popular in germany and you can buy the kegs empty and new without an inbuilt tap. That way you can bake them at 70 deg in the oven to sterilise...

Plenty of discussion on here about reusing them.. but I revived this thread with the hope I might be able to find these kegs for enjoying the original contents. :icon_drunk:

Seems like they have disappeared from the shelves now which is a real shame.

Plenty of discussion on here about reusing them.. but I revived this thread with the hope I might be able to find these kegs for enjoying the original contents. :icon_drunk:

Probably because the average Australian "premium beer" drinker would rather pay around $50 for a case of Corona, Crown or Pure Blande I mean Blonde than $30 for a keg, a KEG mind you, of quality real German lager.

DESPITE:

Case of Corona at Dans = $48 for 24 x 330ml = 7.92 litres = $6.06 per litre.
Keg of Bitburger = $29 for 5 litres = $5.80 per litre

Conclusion: Not only does the average Aussie beer drinker have bad taste, they are also bad at maths!

Yet the kegs used to sit on the shelf while PALETTES of Crown/Corona etc would be walking out the door in a steady stream. And if it doesn't sell, they stop stocking it.

Yep I havent seen any for a while too.
Last time I bought 3 Moenchshof Kellerbier for 20 Dollar each at my local BWS about last year in September. That was a cleanout and I havent seen any exept Heineken since.
A real shame!

As I mentioned in Post # 20 - deleted now. Might be a few strays about, but don't hold your breath.

Probably because the average Australian "premium beer" drinker would rather pay around $50 for a case of Corona, Crown or Pure Blande I mean Blonde than $30 for a keg, a KEG mind you, of quality real German lager.

DESPITE:

Case of Corona at Dans = $48 for 24 x 330ml = 7.92 litres = $6.06 per litre.

Conclusion: Not only does the average Aussie beer drinker have bad taste, they are also bad at maths!

Yet the kegs used to sit on the shelf while PALETTES of Crown/Corona etc would be walking out the door in a steady stream. And if it doesn't sell, they stop stocking it.
Maybe it's because they were asking for $59.95 or maybe $10 more than that for those kegs. Wankers!
If they had asked for $30 or maybe $40 they would have been walking out.
The dorks priced themselves out of the market.
If they were only $30 per keg, who wouldn't be buying them? :beer:

BTW, I bought a tap and CO2 canisters for those 5 l kegs. Cost about $60 (CO2 extra) back in the early 90's. Not very reliable or predictable in my opinion.

Maybe it's because they were asking for $59.95 or maybe $10 more than that for those kegs. Wankers!
If they had asked for $30 or maybe $40 they would have been walking out.
The dorks priced themselves out of the market.
If they were only $30 per keg, who wouldn't be buying them? :beer:
Ahhh, ~$60 is for a box of TWO 5L kegs!
I bought a Franziskaner Heffe-Weisse and a Bitburger Pils from Dan M. for $29 each, and a DAB for $32 from 1st Choice.
Saw today my local bottle-shop has DAB for $27 so I'm going to go grab one tomorrow, to have at my birthday party! :beer:
(along with plenty of homebrew)

When I was chasing the Franz kegs at Christmas time I called the Dan's national no. - not sure what it is, check their website .... they were able to locate which stores had kegs in stock and how many.

While I was collecting, they had 5 left, I got one and someone was holding getting two held for them over the phone.

Might be worth a call, and they can hold them for you, might save you some km's. If there's any left.

Kev

You have tried the Moenchshof Kellerbier (thats with the monk). Its quite a good drop and I used to drink that in germany occasionally as well.

Have a look here

The 5l party kegs are quite popular in germany and you can buy the kegs empty and new without an inbuilt tap. That way you can bake them at 70 deg in the oven to sterilise...

Really? I could swear that the 5L keg I got with the monk on it said, 'Franziskaner weisbeir', the same beer I had been drinking at the Lowenbrau for years.

Must be a few fat monk kegs about...

Well I just put 5 litres of my 'Anglo-American Pale Ale" into one of these kegs. I primed with only 15 grams of sugar this time, instead of 30 or 35 like my last disaster.

Wish me luck!

Or you can get a carton of Bitburger for $40 with 4 free beer glasses. = $5.05 per litre with 4 free and good glasses.

That's what I've been doing when I want to buy a cheap commercial beer.

My research indicates that 3 teaspoons (about 15g) is enough. I will be trying this soon.

Sorry about dragging this thread back from the dead, but I cleaned up one of Konig 5L kegs last night and I'm sure it can be reused....

How did you go with this?

Latest posts

Back