Draft strategy proposes radical plan to boost booze prices

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Print Email Facebook Twitter More
Wine glasses are seven times larger than 300 years ago, and have doubled in size since 1990
Updated Fri at 4:05pm

Thank "insert diety" for that......hate to have to resort to smaller bottles to say I only had 2-3 glasses

I don't know that making booze really cheap makes neglect issues go away...

If the problem is bad enough that someone would prioritise booze over their kids food then it's going to be a problem whether goon costs $5 or $50.

The theory here (and reasonably well backed up with evidence so far) that is that raising the price will generally reduce consumption. Raising the price of cigarettes does cut consumption and despite similar warnings of kids going without meals so parents can afford their fags, that pretty much doesn't happen. If it does then there are pretty serious addiction and neglect issues already. Same with booze. Higher prices = less consumption and if people are prioritising booze over food then there are serious issues with addiction that need to be addressed. Likewise with any addictive drug.

And yes, there is a class bias here. The rich can always afford their addictions. It's only the less well off who are price sensitive. That's a problem with any price based intervention. I'm not sure how to deal with that. But you can't not deal with a problem because some rich dudes can buy their way around it.

Of course there are other problems. You’re talking about downtrodden people who may see no future beyond next week, let alone in their old age. Consumption goes down or just consumption through legally controlled avenues? There is a black market for tobacco, there’s one for booze (plus many other alternatives from metho to meth). Human beings like getting out of their skull. Always have, always will. It’s a pretence of dealing with an issue by dealing with a visible, unpopular symptom.

Never said cheap booze makes neglect issues go away. Not sure how you got that from my post to be honest.

Maybe we’ll see a boost in home distillation.

Wine glasses are seven times larger than 300 years ago, and have doubled in size since 1990
I think it's a bit like the nouveau cuisine thing where as the glasses get bigger, the amount you pour in gets less and less.

But my opinion is firm and has been for some time: the standard drink measure should be a pint of Guinness at minimum.

I think it's a bit like the nouveau cuisine thing where as the glasses get bigger, the amount you pour in gets less and less.

But my opinion is firm and has been for some time: the standard drink measure should be a pint of Guinness at minimum.

Kinda guessing your not that into shandy's.....

Mind you, if you cant handle a 6 pack of Vintage, then best be leaving the nappy at home

Of course there are other problems. You’re talking about downtrodden people who may see no future beyond next week, let alone in their old age. Consumption goes down or just consumption through legally controlled avenues? There is a black market for tobacco, there’s one for booze (plus many other alternatives from metho to meth). Human beings like getting out of their skull. Always have, always will. It’s a pretence of dealing with an issue by dealing with a visible, unpopular symptom.

Never said cheap booze makes neglect issues go away. Not sure how you got that from my post to be honest.

Maybe we’ll see a boost in home distillation.

Yeah. Look at it this way... If you want an intervention that does pretty much what it says on the boxn- reduce consumption of cheap booze, then raising the price is very effective.

If you want something that fixes all those other things, then yeah, nah. Not so much. Big complex multifactor societal problems need big complex multifactor societal solutions.

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, intuitive... And wrong. Said someone sometime.

That was H.L. Mencken.

He also wrote, in 1920: On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

96 years.

Last edited:
Yeah. Look at it this way... If you want an intervention that does pretty much what it says on the boxn- reduce consumption of cheap booze, then raising the price is very effective.
Of course. Make booze not cheap; no cheap booze can be consumed.

I live in Tas so ‘yeah na’ seems to have an actual meaning down here that’s earnest and beyond me but I’m guessing we’re mostly on the same page.

I'm all for it! I don't want my young children tempted by the evils of alcohol whilst they're shopping for Monster & Rockstar.

All this horse shit lip service about 'harm minimization' and playing the community harm math game with taxation. Stop ******* around if you actually care and raise the legal drinking age to 21, at least. Young men at their hormonal peak ( around 17 - 25) with underdeveloped prefrontal cortexs and incomplete brain maturation have no business with dis-inhibiting substances. There's good reasons why you need battalions of cops at Schoolies.

While you're at it, legalize or at least , decriminalize cannabis. While on balance, I find the pro dope crowd annoying as ****, you cant argue with the facts. Kids wont ever 'Just Say No'.

$12 up to $60 going to have to be careful with shoplifters .

Product Detail

Feedback
  • Varietal Shiraz Cabernet
  • Brand Name Stanley
  • Liquor Style Dry Red
  • Size 4L
  • Current Vintage Non Vintage
  • Alcohol Volume 13.0%
  • Country Australia
  • Standard Drinks 41

$12 up to $60 going to have to be careful with shoplifters .

Product Detail

Feedback
  • Varietal Shiraz Cabernet
  • Brand Name Stanley
  • Liquor Style Dry Red
  • Size 4L
  • Current Vintage Non Vintage
  • Alcohol Volume 13.0%
  • Country Australia
  • Standard Drinks 41
Going to make wheel of goon an expensive exercise

Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with curbing binge drinking. Similar to the alcopop tax it's just a justification to throw out because they want a bigger cut in tax. If they were that concerned with people's health alcohol and cigarettes would've banned. Or similar to places in the NT you'd have to provide ID and have it scanned so you're limited to a slab a week or whatever it may be.

Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with curbing binge drinking. Similar to the alcopop tax it's just a justification to throw out because they want a bigger cut in tax. If they were that concerned with people's health alcohol and cigarettes would've banned. Or similar to places in the NT you'd have to provide ID and have it scanned so you're limited to a slab a week or whatever it may be.

Yes it does...the government said so. And our government is truthfull and trustworthy, so its our duty to believe the bullshit they spew forth

How about a total ban on alcohol for members of parliament and there public service how much are they buying on the public purse.

Latest posts

Back