Double Batching & Forgot To Empty Hot Trub From The First

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The King of Spain

Reaction score
What do I do here? The first batch will be a NS lager using MO malt for extra body. Second will be a Pilsner. There was about 25mm of hot trub crap on the bottom which I poured over. I know my colour will be a bit out but am mostly worried about covering my off take tube with the second and what effect it may have on my hopps.

Unless anyone can convince me otherwise think I will let it settle after the second brew hot break, run off the clear wort and resume.

Any thoughts?

Note: Am no-chilling.

You know what's going to happen? You're probably going to make a really cool beer that's going to be friggin' hard to replicate... :lol:

I would be more worried about scorching the "flour" that tends to stick to the bottom of the kettle after a batch. There is a bood chance that the hop sludge will also influence the next beer.

cheers

Darren

If the sludge contains flavour/aroma hops your bitterness will be higher than expected

Thanks all

I went for safety and did poured off after the second hot break. I left it settle for about 10 minutes and which left a lot of gunk and then started again. Been an interesting day with a boil over following this as the usual warning signs were not there, i.e. foam etc with hot break.

Why do we do it?

You know what's going to happen? You're probably going to make a really cool beer that's going to be friggin' hard to replicate... :lol:

This might have been the chance to create the distinctive Aussie style! :p

FWIW I think you did the smart thing KOS ;)

Pouring off after the second hot break probably was the best option, though it sounds like a lot of work. I would have just stirred up the wort in the kettle preboil, grabbed a sieve from the kitchen and fished it all out that way.

Latest posts

Back