Domed False Bottom Grind Size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sama

Reaction score
What size you setting mill gap at for the shop bought domed falsies?

I use a barley crusher & mill it by crank handle & I use 0.9 on my feeler gauge.
80-85% efficiency.
yeh,tried out a one today with a 1mm grind,poor clarity,heaps of chunks got through,this comparing to my other braided tun,with that setup,clear after 4 1.5l jugs vorlaufed.

40 thou (1.040" or just under 1.02mm). I use feeler gauges on a 3-roller Cranker.

TP

Edit --- Just saw your last post. As a last resort you could always wrap your FB in voil or a grain bag but personally have never had the need to even when mashing with a manifold yonks ago.

yeah I'm at 40 thou too, on a monster MM2. However, I recycle more than 4 jugs, prob 10 litres

I added grain,then water(as ive done a hundred times with my braided tun).i suppose a fair bit of the smaller stuff just fell through when dry ? i meen,anything uner 2mm in that layers gonna fall through right?

I added grain,then water(as ive done a hundred times with my braided tun).i suppose a fair bit of the smaller stuff just fell through when dry ? i meen,anything uner 2mm in that layers gonna fall through right?

could have, I fill to about 3/4 water volume, check temp, add grain, stir, then adjust temp if necessary.

at the end of my mash, I run about 5 litres into a bucket, then catch about 5-6 one litre jugs, return the whole lot to the tun then catch the rest for the kettle.

wheat beers are a bit worse i prob return 12- 15 litres, maybe 8 - 10 jugs plus the initial runoff

Never have these problems as I continuously recirculate via the March but when I had my gravity setup I always waited for 10 minutes minium after mashout & also after sparging before recirculating via the jug onto a bit of foil or whatever sitting on top of the mash. Are you doing this? Pouring directly down the sides can result in channelling with the adverse results you mention.
TP

bit of research and im thinking with my gap setting and mill being motorised, my crush is a bit fine for the false bottom.Will increase gap size and give her a go.

0.9mm for me, never a problem with a stuck sparge, however I have a MM3, which sends the husks out whole which really help with filtration and clarity of the wort.

Latest posts

Back