Doing A Twocan Brew... Need A Suggestion Though

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0M39A

Reaction score
ok, got a couple of cans of farmland draught here, and 1kg of light malt.

thinking of doing a twocan brew with it all.

will mix up the two cans of draught and 1kg malt (want a nice high alc% as well), and do a bit of a boil up by steeping 200g of light crystal (80ebc) in 3L of water or so, and boiling this up, and add some flavour and aroma hops to this.

now, the question is whats a good hop suggestion?

i have:

Cascade 4.5% aau 25g

Golden Cluster 8% aau 25g

Goldings 4% aau 50g

Fuggles 5% aau 50g

Pride Of Ringwood 10.9% aau 200g

Hallertau 2.1% aau 50g

Saaz 3% aau 50g

and which yeast? either US-56 or S-04?

cheers

btw, I was thinking going maybe 15g of east kent goldings for maybe 20min and using the s-04 yeast.

maybe even a bit of fuggles for aroma at the end...

dont want to go overboard, as this will already be a rather bitter beer, just want something there for flavour and aroma.

[edit]

also got 1kg dextrose sitting around as well... not sure weather to use this instead of the light dried malt, as i dont want the beer to be too thick. Want it to be more of a summer quaffer...

I don't know a great deal about it, but two cans will make it bitter. Not sure you really need to add hops other than aroma. Definately not POR. Maybe dry hop som saaz?

I don't know a great deal about it, but two cans will make it bitter. Not sure you really need to add hops other than aroma. Definately not POR. Maybe dry hop som saaz?

Have done a 2can with same generic draught cans. Was very bitter. It definately did not need any bittering hops. I did the above and dry hopped with saaz. Ended up quite nice for some dodgy cans.

Have done a 2can with same generic draught cans. Was very bitter. It definately did not need any bittering hops. I did the above and dry hopped with saaz. Ended up quite nice for some dodgy cans.

well i ended up doing the two cans, 150g of light crystal in around 3L 67C water for half an hour, 15g of EKG for around 25min, and another 10g at the end of the boil.

and ended up chucking in a bag of coopers brew enhancer no.1 which i think is just 750g of dextrose and 250g of maltodextrine.

Has anyone tried a toucan (two can) brew of Coopers Real Ale? I bought two cans and hope it is not too hopped. Any advice?

Has anyone tried a toucan (two can) brew of Coopers Real Ale? I bought two cans and hope it is not too hopped. Any advice?

Hey Brewtus,

Not sure where i read it (thought it was on grumpies, but i cant seem to find it now), but somebody did a twocan brew with 2xcoopers real ale cans, and claimed it turned out pretty bad...

I bottled my twocan brew last night. Never have I seen a beer so clear straight out of primary... was sitting in primary for about 12 days iirc, and already i can pick up a bottle and see straight through it. the s04 flocked out very very well. such a tightly packed trub.

tasted very bitter, but thats to be expected. still lovely IMO. nice and malty and the crystal malt shines through well. EKG gives it a lovely body and aroma.

Will crack open a test stubbie in a week or two to see how its going. tasted some of my APA last night as well, and its lovely! still a little green so to speak, but tastes great. only fault i can pick at this point is time is the lack of head... hopefully it will pick up a bit with a bit more time in the bottle.

Brewtus, did a twocan of Coopers Real Ale, hopped with Cascade for that American flavour. Turned out Beautifully !!
I did boil mine up though, which destroy's the hops in the cans, which are not real strong anyway. That's why I added my own hops too.

Brewtus,

My first ever toucan was a Cooper's Real Ale and turned out great...at least I thought it was great at the time. Yes, bitter, but not too bitter :D

One memory of that beer that still lingers was the mouth feel (probably just a wow, first time thing).

I still reckon you could make something good out of it, but keep it REALLY simple, as although however flawed, the cans constituents are mixed to an existing recipe and screwing around with it too much will end in nothing but tears (at least thats my experience).

Suggestion:

Both cans of goo,
No f*cking cane sugar or crap like that,
Mix to 21 litres,
Dry hop with approx 12g EKG or Fuggles,
Pitch Windsor Ale yeast (or supplement with Nottingham if not available...but Windsor would be better).

Hell, I might even throw down one tomorrow, only got one no-chill ready, so why not :super:

PZ.

Thanks for the advice. I usually boil my sugars but with a two can I will just bring it too the boil and dry hop as I have some fuggles.

Latest posts

Back