Does Beer Have Sugar In It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what bloody beer are you drinking that has still got 7 teaspoons of sugar left in it, some of you must be making some shit tasting beer then.
And yet you still had to ask the question.

You, as an experienced brewer, should have been able to work out that 99.999999999999999999% of beers ever made don't have that much fermentables pre-ferment, let alone afterwards.

Then you slag blokes for answering your stupid question.

Only if you squint and hold your nose

PMSL !!!

Well, i think coke has about 10.6g sugar per 100ml (or around 1.042 if you prefer :icon_cheers:)

The starch plant also made the caramel color that use in Coke...... I dont drink coke!

Think sugar and water mixed in a big SS pressure cooker, heated to about 200+ deg with steam and then injected with hydrochloric acid and ammonia.

If the reactor blew a seal during a cook, it realeased a white gas that would kill you in one breath and would cause a full scale evacuation of the plant..... and it happened now and then. Was like white fog and if you saw it you RAN!

It had a pH of about 2 and ate holes in your clothes.

Yum Yum :)

Who wants a coke?

Buuba Q: Did you, or did you not claim that beer contains 30% sugar?
Golf Guy: Well, I did, but ...
Bubba Q: Now I'm not a fancy big city lawyer, [congregation gasps] but it seems to me that in order to create alcohol, yeast must convert sugar into CO2 and ethyl alcohol. Isn't that so?
Golf Guy: Well, yes ...
Bubba Q: And...
GolfGuy: And I suppose if there was 30% sugar still unconverted into alcohol in each and every beer then every single bottle and can would be weapon of mass destruction.

PMSL !!!

The starch plant also made the caramel color that use in Coke...... I dont drink coke!

Think sugar and water mixed in a big SS pressure cooker, heated to about 200+ deg with steam and then injected with hydrochloric acid and ammonia.

If the reactor blew a seal during a cook, it realeased a white gas that would kill you in one breath and would cause a full scale evacuation of the plant..... and it happened now and then. Was like white fog and if you saw it you RAN!

It had a pH of about 2 and ate holes in your clothes.

Yum Yum :)

Who wants a coke?

Well Tony, I didn't want a coke, but gosh darn, I'd be lying if I said my mouth wasn't watering at the thought now! :icon_drool2:

Tip this pale ale out I think.

Fergi will drink that. :p

Give him a six pack. :lol:
yeast tries to eat all the sugar

but it can't. Longer mash times help to remove non-fermetable sugars

Maltose is a complex carbohydrate. If you want to "skinny" your beer down...add an enzyme like amylase (Beano tablets 2 per 20L). You will get a FG around .999 everytime. You will have a very thin beer that takes months to ferment. You may need to switch to a wine yeast to get all of the sugar out. Like Lv-1116 or LV-1118

i know it sounds like an easy answer, but one of the guys at golf made a statement that beer is 30 percent sugar,
i have a 6 pack on this and my answer was it doesnt have any sugar added its only the sugar from barley that it contains, and its not 30 percent.then he went on to say that sucrose/dextrose are sugars, yes they are but they are not added , not including KK or specialty beers.

his original statement was it is made up of 30 percent sugar, this was in relation to the fact i said i didnt want to drink coke because of the added sugar.

he has changed his story a bit now looking at google and seeing malted barley produces, "SUGAR" but his original statment still stands as far as i am concerned,
what do you think.

fergi

Not ALL beers. eg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot
"...the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley and hops..." ; "...German breweries are very proud of the Reinheitsgebot, and many (even brewers of wheat beer[3]) claim to still abide by it..."

All beer has some sugar in it even after fermentation.
There are something like 2.6 million known sugars, of which Sucrose is one, when we mash one of the main aims is to make sugars for the yeast to convert into alcohol. In the process quite a range of sugars are produced, mainly Maltose (a disaccharide is not a complex carbohydrate) but some simple sugars like Glucose and Fructose, some disaccharides like Sucrose also result. So at the start of fermentation there will be a whole bunch of sugars there (yes even in an all malt beer) whether we are talking about added Sucrose or not.
Kunze puts a typical Reinheitsgebot wort at Maltose 65%, Maltotriose 17.5%, Sucrose 5%, Glucose and Fructose 12% (Fructose being 0.8-2.8%)

No yeast (even wine yeast) will eat ALL of the sugars, at some point the energy required to find sugars (nutrient) exceeds the amount of energy available from the sugar and the yeast gives up, this is basically the attenuation limit for a given yeast and varies from one strain to another with something like Champagne at the upper limit and bread yeasts at the lower limit.

It doesnt matter if you mash forever or add exogenous enzymes, there will always be some unfermented sugar remaining after fermentation, but nowhere near 30%. Dry Enzymes dont modify Maltose (that is already fully fermentable) but reduce Dextrins in the wort to simpler sugars that yeast can metabolise.

And please remember that the idea that Beano Tablets would be a useful brewing additive was a joke by Ashton Lewis in BYO (IIRC) and he has since apologised for it.
Mark

yep he is saying its got the same amount of sugar left in it as coke.
i doubt i get to pick the 6 pack, he is a farmer, they are pretty tight with their coin, but they are always right, never wrong.

fergi
And here is your problem.
No matter if we all know the answer and it says you are right and he is wrong how are you going to prove it?
Bloody cocky won't believe you anyway.
Was the bloke called Andy and lives at Tarlee? If it was tell him his brother said hello. :icon_cheers:
Didn't know he'd gone back to playing at Hamley.

Used to love reading the Beano when I was a kid in the UK. In fact a lot of the characters who post on this forum stepped right out of its pages I sometimes think :p

get your mate

get a can of coke

get a beer

get your hydrometer

measure coke

measure beer

tell mate to suck eggs and hand over the 6 pack

simple

cheers:HBK

No yeast (even wine yeast) will eat ALL of the sugars, at some point the energy required to find sugars

And please remember that the idea that Beano Tablets would be a useful brewing additive was a joke by Ashton Lewis in BYO (IIRC) and he has since apologized for it.
Mark

Frank Zappa based a musical career on The Complete Works of Edgard Varse, Volume One...
Varse years later admitted he meant that book to be a joke..

I have had a high SG beer get stuck on me. Beano and LV-1118 finished it. Almost 3 month ferment. After a couple months of bottle conditioning it had a nice head and light mouth but not watery.

Have you tried Beano? Don't rule it out. Amylase is a natural enzyme. One of the problems with malt extract is its higher final gravity due to unfermentables...hmmm, a little beano and a few more weeks voila! very efficient. Wanna see a pour?

I don't know if this thread was from a diabetics point of view. If it is, I would stick with commercial brew that has a predictable amount of carbohydrates to adjust insulin levels to.

Home brew runs the gamut in leftover sugars. I just offered a way to reduce sugars in beer. We aren't talking style, mouthfeel, body...we're talking sugar.

Latest posts

Back