Doc's Tour Of San Diego

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite the session on some big beers!

Was this perchance the (Pizza) Port Hop 15? Didn't know Avery was making something similar (getting excited...)

Yep, sorry it was Pizza Port Hop 15.
I didn't get to see the bottle/tap handle so was trying to remember as I tasted and typed.

How much did they charge for the Westy12?

$35

The most expensive beer I've ever had. But it was one of those if I don't I'm going to regret it moments.

Doc

Yep, sorry it was Pizza Port Hop 15.
I didn't get to see the bottle/tap handle so was trying to remember as I tasted and typed.

$35

The most expensive beer I've ever had. But it was one of those if I don't I'm going to regret it moments.

Doc

$35 dollars FFS you must be made of money Doc....but good luck to ya

Rook

Here are a bunch of pics from the Toronado last night.
I planned on having just a couple but was there for a while :beerbang:

Toronado_SD_1.JPG
Toronado_SD_2.JPG
Toronado_SD_3.JPG
Toronado_SD_4.JPG
Toronado_SD_5.JPG

Doc

$35 dollars FFS you must be made of money Doc....but good luck to ya

Rook

It is one of those beers I've read and heard about for a few years now.
You can't get it unless you got to Belgium and turn up at the brewery on the right day at the right time etc.
So I figured what is my chance of getting to Belgium and out in the countryside where the brewery is, on the right day, at the right time to buy a couple of bottles.
Versus paying (just less) than the return cab fare to a bar in the same city I'm in at the moment ?

That's my story :beerbang:

Doc

So Doc how do you plan to get my Duvel Jeroboam through customs? :icon_drool2:

Warren -

It is one of those beers I've read and heard about for a few years now.
You can't get it unless you got to Belgium and turn up at the brewery on the right day at the right time etc.
So I figured what is my chance of getting to Belgium and out in the countryside where the brewery is, on the right day, at the right time to buy a couple of bottles.
Versus paying (just less) than the return cab fare to a bar in the same city I'm in at the moment ?

That's my story :beerbang:

Doc

That's what i call Justification.....must try that theory on the boss

Rook

So Doc how do you plan to get my Duvel Jeroboam through customs? :icon_drool2:

Warren -

Sorry, missed the late mail on that request.
Suitcase is full of a new wardrobe for me and the family (plus some parts from MoreBeer). :p

Doc

I dont think its justification, its called living, and valuing your time, something that Australian's often seem hard pressed to do.

Uerige Sticke Alt 6.0 %

I finally get to try an authentic Alt.
I must have brewed 10 Alts but have never tasted an authentic one.
Smells like a bock
Very malty
No spicyness that I was expecting.
Not quite what I was expecting from an alt. Nice winter beer.

Doc,

I'm very, very curious about this beer. The BJCP guidelines (to me) make alts relatively bitter. Was this beer's taste kind of like a hoppier bock? Lots of hop bitterness or not so much? Any hop flavour at all?

Doc,

I'm very, very curious about this beer. The BJCP guidelines (to me) make alts relatively bitter. Was this beer's taste kind of like a hoppier bock? Lots of hop bitterness or not so much? Any hop flavour at all?

The balance was on the malty side.
Not spicyness was evident, that really surprised me (and obviously you) based on BJCP guidelines.
The bottle was in date ecetera as well.

Doc

But this is a Sticke Alt of course, not quite the same beast as a standard alt AFAIK. There's some more info about the style here.

In a sense, Sticke is to Altbier ale what Bockbier is to a regular lager.

Sounds good. :icon_drool2:

Last night tonight.
I've gone hard for 5 nights in a row, and I think I've nailed all the highlights.
If I go anywhere (I had a growler of Stone Ruination last night after having Margaritas, Sake and beer at the conference), I'm thinking The Yardhouse would be the place to hit. Beerlist here
I went last time I was in town.

Doc

Anderson Valley Hop Ottin is a good value IPA, and only one that jumps out at me from that list.

Justification... is that a new RR beer? :p

I'm thinking The Yardhouse would be the place to hit. Beerlist here
I went last time I was in town.

Doc

Yardhouse is great, albeit a bit polished and corporate for my liking.. but who can argue with a 100+ draft beer list :eek: ?

The keg/tap room is something to behold if they'll let you take a look at it. The beer lines are just amazing (or at least, the Yardhouse in Costa Mesa was impressive.. not sure on San Diego).

reVox

Yardhouse is great, albeit a bit polished and corporate for my liking.. but who can argue with a 100+ draft beer list :eek: ?

The keg/tap room is something to behold if they'll let you take a look at it. The beer lines are just amazing (or at least, the Yardhouse in Costa Mesa was impressive.. not sure on San Diego).

reVox

Yeah, agree. Also checkout the link in my first post in this topic to when I was here last. I took a couple of pics of the kegroom.

And I don't think I'll make it there tonight. It is 10pm and I just finished up work, and have to pack :(

Beers,
Doc

Oh, but I'm drinking Stone Oaked Double ******* :p

Doc