Doc's American Brown

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross, I would cut out one of the crystal malts and add in around 3% of crystal wheat. This will help dry out the flavour profile - this is going to be a pretty full on meaty beer.

Wes

wessmith said:
Ross, I would cut out one of the crystal malts and add in around 3% of crystal wheat. This will help dry out the flavour profile - this is going to be a pretty full on meaty beer.

Wes
[post="96802"][/post]​

Wes,

Had already bought the grain when you posted - so changed yeast to get a bit more attenuation & mashed in this morning at 64c

American Brown Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/12/2005
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 73.4 %
0.50 kg Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.25 kg Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
0.25 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (381.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
25.00 gm Chinook [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 31.7 IBU
20.00 gm Williamette [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
10.00 gm Williamette [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.6 %
Bitterness: 44.9 IBU
Est Color: 21.5 SRM

I was planning on doing an American Brown for my next beer and I was wondering if you have any suggestions based on your extensive tasting research Doc? Ross? anybody else?

:beer:

Stuster said:
I was planning on doing an American Brown for my next beer and I was wondering if you have any suggestions based on your extensive tasting research Doc? Ross? anybody else?

[post="106823"][/post]​

Very timely Stuster, American Brown is one of the four new styles to be added to this year's ANAWBS (Australian National Amateur Wine and Beer Show). Watch this space for more details and full guideline specs over the next month or so.

Here's hoping a number of the talented AHB American Brown fans enter, it could be cracker of a class to win, or judge for that matter :) .

wee stu said:
Here's hoping a number of the talented AHB American Brown fans enter, it could be cracker of a class to win, or judge for that matter :) .
[post="106825"][/post]​
I will put my hand up to judge it. Unless I enter one.

I'm not sure if it is on here but see if you can find Kai's recipe. He won AABC with it last year and it's a top drop. It is a great style.

I use a fairly standard dark grain bill. Base ale malt, some choc, some crystal. I really like Simcoe in my brown, an idea I got from Kai, it has those nice American flavours but is a little more subtle than the likes of Cascade which I find a little harsh in a brown.

Stuster said:

[post="106823"][/post]​

Stuster,

My recipe above has turned out absolutley gorgeous IMO - My first though & just entered in the Beerfest, so I'll wait for the judges comments... :blink:

cheers Ross

Aaron said:
wee stu said:
[post="106825"][/post]​
I will put my hand up to judge it. Unless I enter one.

I'm not sure if it is on here but see if you can find Kai's recipe. He won AABC with it last year and it's a top drop. It is a great style.

[post="106830"][/post]​

Having tasted your's last night Aaron, and remembering Kai's beauty as well as a credible version Boots and I split and fermented with different yeast strains last year I reckon this could become a standout competition class at ANAWBS this year, especially if we can persuade Ross, Doc and the rest to commit to it too.

wee stu said:
I reckon this could become a standout competition class at ANAWBS this year, especially if we can persuade Ross, Doc and the rest to commit to it too.
[post="107331"][/post]​

No need for persuasion, I'll be there :beer:

Latest posts

Back