Do We Like Coopers Fermenters?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braufrau

Autumn Leaf Brewery
Reaction score
I just inherited (sort of) my father's coopers kit which we gave him *years* ago and he never used.
So its brand new and shiny, free of any nasty microbes but well .. its a big bucket, with a wide surface area and I can't help eying with suspicion, just 'cause its not what I'm used to.

So do you use this sort of fermenter? Is it OK?

And to make me even more suspicious, it seems they don't make this style of fermenter anymore, but it looks like this
25ltr-home-brew-bin.jpg

Why do you view it with suspicion?

As long as it seals fine (airtight) and is well sanitised, it should be fine. I think the Americans use fermenting buckets. more so than Aus. I used to have a bucket type fermenter which worked well for years, however the lid eventually spilt. I think my brother left it in the sun near a window and it went brittle.

If you are really unsure of it, get a Bunnings tub type and use this as a bottling bucket.

If you are really unsure of it, get a Bunnings tub type and use this as a bottling bucket.

Wait. What? If she thinks it might infect her brews she should only use it for a bottling bucket? So her beers will only get a little bit infected?

Maybe give it a test run on a quick and nasty batch.

There's no reason to suspect the design. As pointed out above this style of fermenter is still in use.

I did my first ever brew in a bucket like this, it was very old and had been used many times in its life (also "inherited" from my father) Was fine, but the lid split on me after one batch.

If it hasnt been used and seals airtight should be no greater chance of infection then any other fermenter to my knowledge.

I've got an old fermenter similar to that. It had a different type of tap & when the seal went LHBS didn't have that type of tap. Probably should've gone to a couple of different shops but I've got other fermenters so wasn't too concerned. I planted a mt hood rhizome in mine yesterday.

As long as the tap seals you'll be fine.

Wait. What? If she thinks it might infect her brews she should only use it for a bottling bucket? So her beers will only get a little bit infected?

Not at all. Depend why she views at suspicious. If the lid seals, and the unit is not damaged, there is no reason why it shouldn't work. If she is suspicious just because it is a different style or doesn't look bling or is out of date, then use it for an alternative use. Using it as a bottling bucket would see the beer sit in it a lot less time than over the duration of a primary ferment. Not saying that she won't get an infection, but the chances are a lot less due to shortened contact time.

So do you use this sort of fermenter? Is it OK?
No I don't use that type of fermenter, and I'm not sure you should too - please send it to me, since it looks ideal for my 'open ferment' English Ale project. ;)
The bucket-type fermenter seems to be very (or at least equally to the 'Australian plastic keg' type fermenters) popular on the UK Home Brewing forums, and quite a number of 'respected' members of those forums use them with very good results.

25lpail.bmp_sml.jpg

Pail type are the only ones for me.
{BrewCellar have the ones shown in original post}

stagga.

Australia is pretty unique in using the barrel style fermenters. Overseas the bucket style with 'snap on' lids are fairly standard with home brewers. Used the same thing in the UK in the 70s.

Buckets rule!
They are easier to clean than the barrel type.

Buckets rule!
They are easier to clean than the barrel type.

I agree with Winkle and Staggalee, It would be a shame to see you leave this pail type and go to a Barrel. A bit backwards in my book.

MD

might change the airlock grommet..

what's an airlock and why won't my gladwrap bloop?

use what works well for you.. bucket, barrel or bathtub... whatever... give it a go and see what you think...

edit [typo]
:party:

25lpail.bmp_sml.jpg

Pail type are the only ones for me.
{BrewCellar have the ones shown in original post}

stagga.

I was going to buy some more fermenters, then my flatmate ( who works for a major food company) says...."Could you use these for your brewing ? " Sure can....Can you get more ?.....mmmm Yes. :icon_cheers:

Got one too.

Used it quite a few times. After a while it didn't seal properly. A brick on the lid fixed that problem. Screw top fermenters came next. Easier to remove top. Less open area for nasties to get in when adding extras like finings etc.

I now use cling wrap. No need to wash/sterilize/sanitize lids, O rings, airlock.

You'll need a very wide cling wrap to seal a pail type fermenter.

A 25 litre demijohn would be nice to try out. Haven't got any drill bits to make a hole for the tap.

A stainless steel conical type fermenter would be great. Haven't got the spare cash.

Am thinking of converting an old stainless steel Birko urn into a fermenter by taking out the heating element. Then again, what's wrong with leaving it in.

Does anyone know if glass or stainless steel fermenters have any advantages over plastic ones?

Cheers.

Does anyone know if glass or stainless steel fermenters have any advantages over plastic ones?

I guess even food grade plastics still retain odours, plus they're more susceptible to scratching, which provides little spaces for 'bad-for-beer-things' to hide out waiting to spoil your beautiful brew.

Glass won't scratch easily, plus you can see what's happening. Glass is bloody heavy though, so it could be a problem for some fridge shelves (mine broke on my first brew with just a light plastic fermenter).

The only glass ones - carboys - i've seen don't have a very wide opening at the top, again the positives must be less space for infections to get in, and cost-savings on clingfilm (not enough to offset the cost of the carboy though :rolleyes: ), but harder to get in to clean, to put wort in in the first place, etc, etc.

You can always go for a syphon like John Palmer, to avoid the need for a tap I suppose.

I've got 1 bucket and 1 barrel fermenters.

The only downside of the bucket style is standard cling wrap can't be used instead of the lid and airlock. I'm unsure if the catering (wider) cling wrap would work.

Give em a crack I reckon.

I've got 1 bucket and 1 barrel fermenters.

The only downside of the bucket style is standard cling wrap can't be used instead of the lid and airlock. I'm unsure if the catering (wider) cling wrap would work.

Give em a crack I reckon.

The "Kwiklife" xtra wide cling wrap {25 metres by 38 cm} does it.

stagga.

Back