Do I Need A Starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just realised that if you specify that you are using a stir plate changes things a fair bit.

nothing wrong with same cell procreation.

I agree. need was the operative word though and I don't think 1048 wort needs a starter.

Will a starter hurt? Not if you're sanitary.

Will it help? Possibly.

Is it needed? No.

i try to keep things as simple as possible, so if i dont NEED as starter then that makes life easier for me

thanks

I pre-order my wyeast from AbsoluteHomebrew, and when it comes in (straight off the plane basically) I pick it up.

BUT I don't tend to use my yeast fresh, instead I split it and do multi-step starters, when I'm ready.

End of the day, I figured I could buy expensive stale yeast, or I could get a discount for pre-ordering (12$/pack), split it 4 ways... 3$/brew, and 'mature' my own yeast ;)

Easy to see some nice creamy white yeast in 6 month old splits (10% viability?)... pretty much all peanut brown at 12 months.

splitting 4 ways sound economical, can you link me to a good thread that outlines how this is done? the search doesnt really work for me

i thought i would pitch the pack then once complete i could pour fresh wort over the yeast cake and go again, this way i get 2 brews with one pack, is this way ok? i did read the thread about yeast rinsing, is it required?

thanks guys, slowly learning

splitting 4 ways sound economical, can you link me to a good thread that outlines how this is done? the search doesnt really work for me

i thought i would pitch the pack then once complete i could pour fresh wort over the yeast cake and go again, this way i get 2 brews with one pack, is this way ok? i did read the thread about yeast rinsing, is it required?

thanks guys, slowly learning

Splitting a Wyeast Smack Pack
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=45866

I don't smack the packs before splitting. Instead i save the yeast nutrient packs and add them to starters

Latest posts

Back