Diy Elcheapo Specialty Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildschwein

Reaction score
Money is tight @ the moment and I'm forced to try out things with my beer in order to keep the costs down. One thing I do like to add to my enhanced kit and kilo recipes is specialty grains like chocolate and crystal malt. Although, they bring little to no fermentable material to the mix they do seem to add some sort of voodo to the final beer. This voodo includes different colours, better head, body and flavour complexity IMO. However, my HBS is 20-30km away and I can't always justify going there. They sell their spec malts for $2.20 for a 200g bag which doesn't seem like much but it adds up after a while and adds a bit to the price of each brew I do.

I often use pearl barley in cooking which is dirt cheap. Pearl barley is unmalted, de-husked, polished barley and it costs me $1.12 for 500g @ my local supermarket. Roasted/burnt barley is used in some beers/stouts/ales (Guinness is the most well known) for its roasty character, head retention properties and the dryness/bitterness it can impart. I'm not interested in really burnt flavours but I thought I could roast up some pearl barley in various colours/finishes to impart some DIY spec grain voodo to my brews at a low cost. I made three different types: a golden roasted pearl barley, a deep amber pearl barley and a mock crystal malt which I will describe here.

For the golden and deep amber roasted barley I placed 500g of pearl barley in an a tin foiled-lined oven tray and roasted it in my oven at 120C for around 2 and a 1/2 hours mixing it around every 10-15 minutes to get an even colour. Once I'd achieved a kind of light brown, golden orange colour and a slight caramel taste I tipped off half of the barley which became my first DIY grain. I returned the remaining half to the oven and cooked it at 140F for an additional hour which gave me a nice brown amber colour and a slighty nutty coffee taste. This became the deep amber brown grain. It was not as dark, or bitter as chocolate malt or commercially available roasted barley.

For the mock crystal I got the idea of forming a caramel coating around the pearl barley to simulate the light sweetness of crystal spec grains. Crystal malt is usually made by moistening malt and allowing a mash process to occur inside the husk. Once some of the starches are converted to sugar the crystal is finished at varying temps for varying finishes. Firstly, I placed a fresh 500g of pearl balrey into a pot and covered it with 2 cups of water and a cup of raw sugar. I then brought it to the boil and stirred constantly over high heat until most of the water had evaporated and the sugar was becoming syrupy. I then poured the contents onto an oven tray and roasted the sugar and grain mix at 120C for about an 1 and 1/4 hours stirring constantly to get an even sugar coating and colour on all the grains. Eventually all the water evaporates and all the sugar gets cooked onto the grains and begins to caramalise to a medium amber finish. These mock crystal grains are marginally sweeter tasting than real crystal but taste unusally like malt.

I'm going to use some of these in my next brew by crushing them and then steeping them in hot water for about 30 minutes before seiving the fliud. 66-70C is good but because there is no husk there is no reason to be as anal about temps and tannins as you would with commercial spec malts. Furthermore, I'm not going to exceed 250g of grain total in a 23L brew as because they are not being mashed they could put a little too much protein and starch into the final beer which is not really what I'm after. Also, huskless broken barley can really clog up sieves so I don't want to have to worry about a stuck rinse with a huge batch of the stuff.

I'm sure the fake crystal will contribute some fermentable material in the form of caramel, a bit like belgian candi sugar. With these methods I'm hoping I will get some of the roasted taste and spec grainesque voodoo to add a little something personal to my brews, hopefully @ a low price. I will post later to say how it goes.

Good on ya mate...last time I did something like this to economise was a big-arse batch of homemade candi sugar...about 3 kilos worth for 3 dollars ingredients. happy...very happy.

you're getting ripped off. spare the soup mix and try craftbrewer.

Yes my HBS is a rip off, hence the reason I avoid going there. I wouldn't go as far to call it soup mix it's the same stuff as what gets used for beer but is not malted and is more processed. I'll check out craftbrewer though.

It is a pity you did not fill out your location in your profile - would help in identifying wher eyou are and make for better help.

Never heard of Pearl Barley - but it sounds like it was never germinated and malted.
Therefore - unless mistaken and if so happy for someone to correct me - toasting Pearl barley will not be the same as the good stuff.
The barley is germanted over 2-3 days then toasted over 3 -5 days.

Again - if we knew where you were - it would be easier to offer advice and help.

I ammended my profile to include my location, no problems, thanks for alerting me to that. Pearl barley is not malted, as I explain above it is dehusked unmalted barley. My rationale for using it is based on the utilisation of roasted barley by some brewers. Roasted barley is an unmalted, husk-on grain used in some beer making. Guinnnes uses it, as does Carlton's retro VB ale. I believe it is used in some Brit ales too such as Theakstons Old Peculiar. Pearl Barley is usually used in stews and broths and I wouldn't claim that my home roasts would be as good as spec grains from the HBS. However, most spec grains provide nothing in the way of fermentable material anyway. Rather, they leave things like dextrine and some starch in the brew which is what provides the flavour and mouthfeel characteristics. Obvoiusly, the colour of the grain imparts an aesthetic influence. And the degree of roastiness will also be imparted into the final flavour profile of the beer. I'm pretty sure pearl barley will also provide some of these characteristics. Although, I must admit that Craftbrewers' s grains are very reasonably priced and I may just get some soon.

they are great for specialty malts. a couple of kilos lasts quite a few brews, depending on what you get.

I don't think what you have made will be a good one-for-one swap for crystal. As you correctly state, the grains are mashed in the husk, which means the starches are converted to complex sugars. Roasting them for colour will give you coloured unmalted barley. They are not the same thing. You'll just have roasted starches in the brew, not unfermentable sugars. Essentially I think you'll be adding a coloured haze to your brews. It would probably be OK if you mashed the grains with a highly diastatic malt, as the base malts you mash with will "lend" their enzymes to the unmalted barley and convert their starches into sugars. Roasted barley is of course the exception here.

I strongly suggest you order in specialty malt from one of the site's sponsors or another online retailer. Postage isn't that pricey and if you order in "bulk", say up to 10kg, the price of postage per kilo will be negligible.

However, if you're determined to go ahead, by all means post back with your results.

that's true, making a small amount of roast and crystal is easier than trying for 5kgs or Pilsner malt.

I don't think what you have made will be a good one-for-one swap for crystal. As you correctly state, the grains are mashed in the husk, which means the starches are converted to complex sugars. Roasting them for colour will give you coloured unmalted barley. They are not the same thing. You'll just have roasted starches in the brew, not unfermentable sugars. Essentially I think you'll be adding a coloured haze to your brews. It would probably be OK if you mashed the grains with a highly diastatic malt, as the base malts you mash with will "lend" their enzymes to the unmalted barley and convert their starches into sugars. Roasted barley is of course the exception here.

I strongly suggest you order in specialty malt from one of the site's sponsors or another online retailer. Postage isn't that pricey and if you order in "bulk", say up to 10kg, the price of postage per kilo will be negligible.

However, if you're determined to go ahead, by all means post back with your results.

Yeah I don't disagree with most of what you're saying here. In particular I think you're right about the haze which is one of the reasons I'm only going to use a max of 250g in the whole 23L batch. Haze though is more of a problem with lagers which are served chilled. This is less of an issue with ales which are served at room temp of (10-15C) and this tends not to illuminate any unfermented hazes in the brew. With regard to roasted barley, I have noticed over time that there is debate as to whether it should be mashed or not. Certainly, on Grumpy's website they say it should be mashed. However, the well known American HB guru Charlie Papazian actually just steeps it, at least in the extract recipes which I have read. As I will probably just use it an ale it may not be too much of a problem in small amounts as much of an ale's character comes from the unfermented stuff left in the brew anyway.

Wheat beers are another good example of hazey beers with lots of unfermented materail floating around in them. They're nearly always cloudy and slighty sour from all the protein left in them. But the head you get on wheat beers is just unbelievable. Its like a dense foamy carpet that rises well above the level of the serving vessel. Certainly, though I will buy some bulk spec grains @ some point in the future.

Running the oven for a few hours would cost more than postage from Craftbrewer :blink:

Go the Real McCoy!

Fester

Yeah I don't disagree with most of what you're saying here. In particular I think you're right about the haze which is one of the reasons I'm only going to use a max of 250g in the whole 23L batch. Haze though is more of a problem with lagers which are served chilled. This is less of an issue with ales which are served at room temp of (10-15C) and this tends not to illuminate any unfermented hazes in the brew. With regard to roasted barley, I have noticed over time that there is debate as to whether it should be mashed or not. Certainly, on Grumpy's website they say it should be mashed. However, the well known American HB guru Charlie Papazian actually just steeps it, at least in the extract recipes which I have read. As I will probably just use it an ale it may not be too much of a problem in small amounts as much of an ale's character comes from the unfermented stuff left in the brew anyway.

Wheat beers are another good example of hazey beers with lots of unfermented materail floating around in them. They're nearly always cloudy and slighty sour from all the protein left in them. But the head you get on wheat beers is just unbelievable. Its like a dense foamy carpet that rises well above the level of the serving vessel. Certainly, though I will buy some bulk spec grains @ some point in the future.

Starch is unfermentable but its also insoluble. Unfermentable sugars are (all??) soluble. You'll find they taste different too. Compare bread with lactose for instance. Is that the sort of think you're looking for in your beer? Wheat beers have a protein and yeast haze. Different cause, different flavour.

With regard to roasted barley, I have noticed over time that there is debate as to whether it should be mashed or not. Certainly, on Grumpy's website they say it should be mashed. However, the well known American HB guru Charlie Papazian actually just steeps it, at least in the extract recipes which I have read.

Not sure where you read that on Grumpys site :blink: ... Extract below from their shop - couldn't be much clearer ;)

"JoeWhite_Roast Barley
1200-1400 EBC. Smooth, dry bitter flavour. Adds red colour when used sparingly (1% of an all malt grist). Used in GUINNESS for colour and roast flavour. Try it in your next Mild, Stout or Dark Ale recipe (max 10% of grist) but traditionally not used in Porter! NO MASH REQUIRED "

& just to confirm...roast barley does not require mashing.

Cheers Ross

Starch is unfermentable but its also insoluble. Unfermentable sugars are (all??) soluble. You'll find they taste different too. Compare bread with lactose for instance. Is that the sort of think you're looking for in your beer? Wheat beers have a protein and yeast haze. Different cause, different flavour.

This sounds logical but is it based on the assumption that the mashing process actually converts every single bit of starch to sugar? I don't really know if that's possible. Surely, there must be some residual starch in nearly all home brew beers.

This sounds logical but is it based on the assumption that the mashing process actually converts every single bit of starch to sugar? I don't really know if that's possible. Surely, there must be some residual starch in nearly all home brew beers.

True, but with what you're proposing, the grain will be ALL starch. You won't be getting the unfermentable sugars at all.

Back